Cost of Baseball/softball....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
And although I agree that we need to find a better system or at the least, fix the one we have, I just don't see it happening since so few think it as broken. The ones that do think it are usually the ones on the outside looking in.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't know the solution. I do know many travel teams that will give discounts to talented players. There's one on DD's travel team who probably plays 1/4 the fees as everyone else, and I'm happy they're getting that break because it's nice kid with talent who loves to play.

Tournament gate fees gouge big families. The cost of showcases is eye-popping. The cost of regular private coaching is more than most can afford. Are those charging these high prices exploiting people, or are they just making a living?

MLB could invest in grass-roots baseball. There is no money to pass around in softball, and if there was, does that investment really pay off? If it were my money, I'd rather give academic opportunities to less privileged than athletic opportunities. There's no pot of gold at the end of softball.

It's a problem, but I don't have answers.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Nice article, but he is mingling TB and REC ball together when he makes general statements. TB has no borders and I am sure a lot of players have coaches who become "father figures" to their players. REC parks have geographical areas and one of the intents is to prevent a coach from "stacking" their team.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Found the article very interesting, The cost factor being just one issue, with all the options available he showed the commitment to baseball, instead of getting video games or other items most kids today would choose, he opted for "tools of his sport". He made or got numerous breaks along his journey, and discussed the various paths players can take to get to the big leagues. I do wonder what kind of friendships or bonds he made along the way, and if its unique that players would just leave teams so easily to play for a better more skilled one, and how each team/coach he left reacted to the team jumping, whether they were happy for him or disappointed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom