Composite bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
So I was checking out a sporting goods store for netting and the salesman strikes up a chat about softball. Somewhere along the line, it zeroed in on composite bats. How do you know what kind of bat you have? Is it one of those things where....."if you don't know what kind you have, it ain't composite!" sorta deals? My DD now has 4 bats lying around the house. All used. If she needs another bat, I'll figure out a way to rob Santa for it. My thinking (ready to correct it if it's just new ignorance) is she doesn't need some "special" bat until she works more on her mechanics AND current bat maintenance (leaves them outside sometimes).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is a lot to be said for "it's not the arrow, it's the indian". However, depending on the level of play, a decent composite bat can make a difference for a young hitter, even if it's just as simple as reducing hand sting.

Keep in mind that the above comment has been submitted by a gear slut.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD went backwards with her first composite bat. She was fast so she could beat out throws using an aluminum bat, they threw her out when she switched to a composite.

Aug 26, 2015
DD went backwards with her first composite bat. She was fast so she could beat out throws using an aluminum bat, they threw her out when she switched to a composite.

Hmm. The guy at the big box sporting goods store said "Composite bats are lighter so it speeds up the hitter's hands and that gives more pop to every hit". If she was already fast, why would a "lighter bat" slow her down to the point that she was getting thrown out?

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
My guess is the harder hit ball got to the fielders quicker, thus allowing Quincy's dd to get thrown out. Dirtlover, if your DDs bats make a "pinging type" sound, you have aluminum, or aluminum alloy bats. Composite bats make a completely different sound. And of course you have to throw the Zeno bats in there that sound like glass shattering when you hit with them.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I needed to start paying attention when I am pitching to DD, a few balls where by me before I could react.

The store guy does not make sense but the ball explodes off a top end bat.

They all weigh and fell the same.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hmm. The guy at the big box sporting goods store said "Composite bats are lighter so it speeds up the hitter's hands and that gives more pop to every hit". If she was already fast, why would a "lighter bat" slow her down to the point that she was getting thrown out?

composite bats are lighter? hmm, perhaps you should stop talking to big box sports guys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13