Comparision of Baseball Catching to Softball Catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
how does the mechanics of a softball catcher compare to that of baseball catcher as far as throwing, blocking, etc? are they the same? I caught in college (baseball) but i have two daughters - and am coaching the oldest's 12u team... in working with catchers how do the fundamentals of the position compare?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Happily, the answer is simple

how does the mechanics of a softball catcher compare to that of baseball catcher as far as throwing, blocking, etc? are they the same? I caught in college (baseball) but i have two daughters - and am coaching the oldest's 12u team... in working with catchers how do the fundamentals of the position compare?

I was in your same position - former college BB catcher w/ a DD who catches FP softball - and struggled initially w/ this question too. Fortunately, the answer is that there is no fundamental difference. I came to this realization after someone recommended Dave Weaver's (aka Catching Coach on this forum) "A Coaches Guide to Training Catchers" DVD. In the video, as well in Dave's excellent live clinics, he concurrently teaches SB and BB catchers the same exact fundamentals. Granted, once the basic skills are ingrained, there are subtle differences between the 2 games that can mastered later. The skill level that Dave's veteran students, male or female, have achieved is remarkable - its impressive seeing a U14 girl with skills superior to many of the catchers shown during last years televised College World Series games!

I highly recommend Dave's video, its the best softball-related $40 investment I've made. My role as parent and coach is greatly simplified because my DD (and her catching teammates) have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend several clinics and/or lessons w/ Dave. I tell DD and the girls that Dave is their catching coach and that I'm just observing and reinforcing his training. In this fashion, my catching credibility or perceived lack thereof isn't an issue. This is particularly helpful if your DD, who like most, probably responds better to a coach not named Dad. Anyway, although I was a good defensive catcher back in the day, I've taken too many foul balls and/or had too many beers ro remember how I learned or how to teach those skills anywhere nearly as effective as Dave.

I suggest that you consider a similar approach and wish you well regardless.

Greenmonsters :cool:

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I have to agree with Greenmonsters... I just came home from working with an 11U baseball catcher and his 14U softball catching sister. The fundamentals in stance, receiving the ball, blocking, throwing (and more) are the same. Dave Weaver's video is the single best resource for catching instruction a coach can have. Keep in mind the nearly 3 hour long video does not teach catching. It teaches a coach how to instruct catching. Dave should have a disclaimer on the video. I got it to help my DD to advance her skills 3 years ago. She had stiff competition for H/S ball. She ended up beating out her competition for JV the first year and the last 2 years she caught Varsity with district and conference honors! I now instruct local catchers and had the honor to host both Coach Weavers in November for a local catching clinic here in Kansas City. The disclaimer should warn the viewer that they will eventually become the local go-to person for catching lessons. Dave has 2 or 3 "minions" like me across the country. You simply cannot go wrong with this video!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish