College Coach Coashing Travel Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2008
Are there any rules against a college coach coaching above a certain age group for travelball? Someone told me a college coach can not coach 16U and above because of something to do with recruiting violations etc?

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
If I am not mistaken, a university/college coach may coach at any level of travel softball as long as all players on the travel ball team are from within a 50 mile radius of the university/college the coach is employed by. I know of one area coach who coaches 16u and is an assistant coach at a D1 school. On the travel ball website for his team he even advertises the fact that all the players are from within a 50 mile radius.

Jul 28, 2008
Forgot the 50 mile radius part of the deal.

Here is the full rule.

Bylaw 13.11.2.3 – Local Sports Clubs.
In sports other than basketball, an institution’s coach may be involved in any capacity (e.g., as a participant, administrator or in instructional or coaching activities) in the same sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospective student-athletes participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 50-mile radius of the institution). In all sports, an institution’s coach may be involved in any capacity (e.g., as a participant, administrator or in instructional or coaching activities) in a sport other than the coach’s sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospective student-athletes participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 50-mile radius of the institution). Further, in club teams involving multiple teams or multiple sports, the 50-mile radius is applicable only to the team with which the institution’s coach is involved; however, it is not permissible for the coach to assign a prospective student-athlete who lives outside the 50-mile area to another coach of the club. A coach also may be involved in activities with individuals who are not of a prospective student-athlete age, regardless of where such individuals reside.

And right now, UW's Heather Tarr and J.T. D'Amico are doing this very thing with 98's and 99's for a 14U team. Causing allot of resentment up here in our area right now as they are taking many of the top pitching talent.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
This is exactly correct tghorley. The last team I coached was a 19U team, though half the girls were already in college. Before that the same team was an 18U team. The rule states the player must reside within 50 air-miles of the campus.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I guess in a large urban area it might be possible to hoard pitching and other talent. But money can do the same thing. The other question I would ask is if the resentment is well placed? Perhaps it is in kids best interests? Now I am not making a judgement call, just asking a question. The reason they are coaching at that level is not for recruiting purposes, it is just the opposite. It would be more to their advantage to coach 16U or 18U. However, there would probably be more tournament recruiting conflicts which I faced at times and had to make the professional choice. I guess that is why you have good assistant coaches in travel ball. You can't go to the big tournaments or coach at Nationals and recruit at tournaments at the same time. If the players live within 50 air miles of the campus, there is no violation. If the other teams or coaches don't like it, they can write to the NCAA rules committee and the ASA.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles