Coaching Titles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Coaches may have designated roles. Examples:
Hitting coach
Defensive coach
Outfield coach
Infield coach

Some teams do not have designated roles.

Do your coaches have designated coaching roles?

What are your feedback comments about the way you're coaching staff facilitates itself?

Do you see the players on the team following the instruction by all the coaches equally? Or is there some confusion who the players should listen to?

Could having some coaches designated roles possibly help? Or do you think that is unnecessary?

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yes, everywhere I have coached as an assistant and head coach, all of the coaches had titles. Still, none were ever limited to just that responsibility. For example, as an assistant coach, I was the "hitting coach." However, I was also the 1st base coach and outfield coach. I threw almost all of the BP. The "Pitching Coach" also helped throw BP when we could throw side by side. IMO, what some miss out on is that you can use hitting mats and screens and create a situation where two coaches can throw live BP side by side.

As a HC, my assistant coaches for the lower levels teams were all "varsity assistants." In that way, they had the responsibility of joining me for preparing the varsity for the state-run after their seasons ended.

Note, that there is a difference between coaching teams and building a program. In the situations I coached in, I expected all of my assistants to be able to step into any position and know the basics of every coach's responses. One year, my varsity assistant coach who coached with me during the season had a medical emergency. In building a program, I had the ability to slide another coach into that position.

Finally, in terms of who players listen to, I'd say that it would be me more times than not. The reason why was that I was so involved in everything and actually took to the field to do things like throw the BP. That gained a lot of respect for me from the players. However, as an AC, I never questioned nor tried to undercut the HC. He was my mentor coach and I have great respect and love for him.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
More so roles than titles, but I've unfortunately had to take what I can get to some extent, so I've never had the ability to really build a coaching staff at the HS level the way I want.

My AC/DW is the "hitting coach" because we work with a lot of new/inexperienced hitters and she has a knack for presenting hitting information at a basic level in a way I struggle with. Early on I felt myself getting frustrated, either with myself or the player, when we weren't making progress. I will still work with hitters, but usually after she's gotten the ball rolling. (Also, I really need video to see most hitting flaws, so I'm not so useful at just looking at a swing and diagnosing what's wrong)

This year I had two JV coaches/assistant coaches, but all 4 of us worked with all the players. One was a pitcher, but I learned early on she was taught pitching the wrong way (one of those who did not actually pitch the way she was taught), so after one practice I had to limit how she worked with our new pitchers. The other was a new coach who understands the basics of the game but had not coached before.

If those coaches couldn't necessarily teach, they could still be of assistance in other ways. Pitching BP, hitting infield/outfield, etc. I found ways for them to help even if they didn't do as much actual instruction. The new coach picked things up quickly, too, and as the season progressed he was able to help instruct players. He was also valuable in evaluating the JV players at times when I was with varsity.

I don't have an issue with the players not listening to the other coaches because they're confused.

Jun 18, 2023
If those coaches couldn't necessarily teach, they could still be of assistance in other ways. Pitching BP, hitting infield/outfield, etc. I found ways for them to help even if they didn't do as much actual instruction. The new coach picked things up quickly, too, and as the season progressed he was able to help instruct players. He was also valuable in evaluating the JV players at times when I was with varsity.

I think some hesitate to volunteer because they don't think they know anything, but it's not just instructing, sometimes you just need bodies put a ball on a tee, or catch throws at first and get the balls back.

Or just watching the game. You don't need to know softball to be the coach that makes sure all the girls are facing forward on defense, or knows who's up next and that they have their helmet on. There are so many logistical things to a softball practice/game that need softball knowledge. Even just someone with a watch at practice to rotate stations so the coach doesn't have to keep checking his phone ever 3 batters to see if it's time to switch (and then rushing at the end because you didn't get to the third group, etc)

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I think some hesitate to volunteer because they don't think they know anything, but it's not just instructing, sometimes you just need bodies put a ball on a tee, or catch throws at first and get the balls back.

Or just watching the game. You don't need to know softball to be the coach that makes sure all the girls are facing forward on defense, or knows who's up next and that they have their helmet on. There are so many logistical things to a softball practice/game that need softball knowledge. Even just someone with a watch at practice to rotate stations so the coach doesn't have to keep checking his phone ever 3 batters to see if it's time to switch (and then rushing at the end because you didn't get to the third group, etc)
These are some of the reasons why having designated roles/titles can help.

It can differentiate between technical duties and helpful duties.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
On the opposite end of having rolls/titles is the group of coaches who are not in alignment with each other, each one trying to take the lead role, contradicting each other and the players figuring out they don't really know who to listen to. Probably the worst thing that can happen is when one coach is instructing the team and another coach's body language is that of disapproval.
The players see those things.

Brings this suggestion

Sometimes assigning coaching roles/responsibilities can give the coaching staff more than responsibility, it can feel like a privilege or an honor. The coach and players see the coach as a teacher. They have a role and purpose. Each has a value. Each coach should be respected equally.
~Just like every player on the team should have that sense of belonging,
value and purpose!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It's up to the Head Coach to assign the AC to their task. It's up to the AC to be subordinate and stay in their lane. There has to be ONE Head Coach.

My DW/AC is also the head coach of our school's 10u team. I am her AC for that team. I can't tell you how many times I'm just standing there at practice doing nothing because she hasn't told me what to do. I certainly can do a lot, but I need those players to see her as the one in charge, so I'm not going to go in and take over. I often have to remind her she needs to give me something to do, too.

Similarly, if there's something in a game that needs to happen (a player change, strategy change, etc.), I will talk to her quietly away from the players, then she will bring it to the team even if it was my idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968