Coaching thoughts on playing a superior opponent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2013
I coach a 8th grade Middle School team. All the girls except two have no or very little playing experience. Pitching is below average. In regards to our infield and outfield we have spent a lot of time on the basics. My question is three of the teams we play are dominant and have excellent pitching along with travel ball experience. What do you tell your girls before a game when you are a HUGE underdog. I want them to know I have confidence in them but what do you tell your girls before the game so they can still play hard, have fun and not give up when the other team can be intimidating. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Show them the Bad New Bears. Tell them your team will be playing the part of the Bears, the other team will be playing the part of the Yankees.

On a more helpful note be honest with them that they are playing a more experienced team. Agree with going for small victories. Inning to inning and staying positive.

If it is going the way of "I'll soon be posting in the wrong side of the running up the score thread" Don't get down on your team. Assign each girl to watch the girl on the other team who plays the same position. Use it as a tool to have them improve by learning from the other team. Point out good plays by the other team - things like "See how she hit the cut off man on that throw from LF, that's just how I want you to do it." But spin it in a positive way, not like you are criticizing what your girls are doing.

Anyway good luck, sometimes your kids will surprise you though often when you are facing a big talent gap there is only so much you can do in a short period of time and you just have to take your lumps which is not always a whole lot of fun.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
heyray,

Once upon a time back in my coaching days, I took a 3 step type of approach to games similar to what you are describing. 1. Recognition 2. Goals 3. Execution

Used this method up through the 16U teams.

During my pre-game or day before practice, I would let the girls know that the next game will be one of the tougher challenges of the year. I would inform them that even though from a talent perspective they outclass us, we still play for a reason. I would throw in the "Hardwork beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" as well as they will likely undervalue our ability and that is an advantage for us. That's the recognition part.

The goals part was to say that we need to play error free softball, along with the goal of one hit per girl, etc. Something they could all focus on, whatever the goals ended up being. If we can do that, regardless of the score, then we will treat that as a victory because if we can replicate that, we will win much more than we will lose.

The execution part was that during the game, everyone had to pull together as a team to meet our team goals, encourage your teamates to keep going, etc. And even if during the game we failed to meet our team/individual goals, we had to press on to do the level best we could to keep as close to our team goals as possible.

This used to at least always have something for us to focus on. If we kept it close, they focused on the game itself which is best, if it wasn't close, they focused on achieving the pre determined goals. It definitely helped build team spirit in my experiences. Also, it helped positively train what needs to be done to get more W's than L's.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Apr 23, 2013
Thanks, the game will be tomorrow and thanks for the advice along with others on this board and thanks for the encouragement

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, there is only one pre-game speech. Sports are about making your best effort and accepting losing or winning graciously.

My pre-game speech:

They're a good team. As usual, everyone has to play well and do their jobs. We have to run the bases, hit well, play good defense, and pitch. BUT, no matter what: We are going to run on and off the field every inning. If you lead off an inning, you will have your helmet on and waiting to bat before the pitcher has finished her warmups. Your shirts are to always be tucked in. You will say, "Yes sir, yes 'mam" to every adult on the field. You will be polite to every person on this field, including the other team. Win or lose, we are going to be the best team on the field.​

want them to know I have confidence in them but what do you tell your girls before the game so they can still play hard, have fun and not give up when the other team can be intimidating.

"Have fun" are the wrong words. They imply laughing and giggling. So, suggesting that they laugh and giggle as the other teams pounds them is a not realistic.

However, the kids can "enjoy" the game from the standpoint of getting something out of the game and taking pride in their accomplishments. An inning-by-inning approach is good.

AFTER THE GAME: There is shame in pretending to be something you weren't. Be honest, but find those things to talk about where your players were exceptional.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
If you have good communication with your fans/supporters/parents, encourage them to cheer for any small feat regardless of whether or not it's routine and taken for granted. The girls will feed off some crowd feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl