Coach letting dd practice without gear. Irresponsible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And his version of the story was that he was pitching balls to the batter and it was actually a foul ball that went backwards and hit her in the chest.

The coach was an idiot. With young kids, there is also the possibility of the catcher getting hit with the bat. This was a recipe for a disaster.

Mar 25, 2011
With the batter just getting killed in baseball trying to bunt...I can't believe we are having this conversation.

Mar 13, 2010
We allow kids to warm up with just a catchers helmet on. Most put the full gear on, catching a 45-50mph pitch in the shin just plain hurts.

You are opening yourself up to lawsuits. That is purely a duty of care issue. It is in the ISF softball rules that you have to wear full gear in a game when catching. You put a kid in a game situation and not have them wear the same gear, you are opening yourself up to it.

For all the arguments I've had on here about face masks for infielders I really can't believe people think it's acceptable to have catchers squatting without full gear on.

Jun 21, 2010
Our catchers always have full gear on during practice or game. I would never allow my girls to be behind the plate with a batter in the box and live pitching. Totally irresponsible of the coach to allow his/her catcher back there with only a facemask. Bad enough when they get hit with full gear on.

May 5, 2008
Yes, totally irresponsible and you're right to be furious! I would probably take the advice of waiting 24 hours before addressing it with anyone. If you're not sure you can speak directly to him without going nuts, take it to the organization.

No one should be standing unsuited behind a batter hitting pitched balls!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC