Co-op sports transportation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Do any of my fellow DFP’ers have daughters on school co-op sports teams? Here in Illinois, smaller high schools are teaming up with neighboring small school districts in order to be able to field teams in sports that otherwise wouldn’t be offered and to field more competitive teams in small team sports.

If so, how well are the schools handling transportation? What are the rules? Can those rules be found in the co-op agreement or school handbook?

Here is why I ask.... our high school has co-op’d wrestling, football softball and baseball for some time with a neighboring school. We are a large geography rural school district. We are now going to co-op all sports. My ONLY complaint is transportation has been treated like an afterthought. The result is athletes standing around waiting for buses, waiting 30-45 minutes for another team to finish practice so they can all get on the bus for an 15 minute ride back to their school. This makes a long day longer and really irritates me. They also do not allow kids to drive from one school to the other so they can go straight home after practice. Why? They claim that they are liable for the kids driving in between. Really.... so who is liable when they drive to and from weekend practice? Who is liable when they drive home from any school activity? Am I wrong to think that potential liability issues can’t be resolved with permission slips, rules players about riding in other players cars and rules about obeying traffic laws? State law already prohibits more than one non-family member passenger for young drivers in my state....

Thoughts?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just taking when DD played MS in IL.

We could drive DD home from games and only DD. Few times we followed the bus back to school to pickup some other players.

They had what they called an activity bus that left school at 4:30 or something. All activities were required to be completed by then. Acutal games were different, I could see were this would tie them all up.

I do not know why all your sports are not required to do something similar. Bus is leaving for other school at X time so all the Coaches can organize their practice accordingly regardless of sport.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Most schools do have these policies. We could as parents pick up or drop off in instances like this but had to sign separate permission slip on the spot each time...real pain but since people are sue happy its the norm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sav19821920