Cleaning Helments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
We purchased new decals for the girls helmets. Any ideas of how to clean the helmets and remove old decals the best before we apply the new ones?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I did this with one of those citrus-oil based crayon removers, Goof Off is one brand, I think they're all the same.
Works great, wipes off clean and non-oily so the next one will adhere well.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Use Goo Gone....Goof Off will actually damage the helmet as it contains acetone. Made that mistake with a flat screen television I hung in a corner. Thank goodness it was an old one.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
1. Peel off old decals with fingernails as best you can.
2. Wash helmet with wet rag to get dirt/mud/grim off
3. Squirt of WD-40 on a rag. Wipe the rag on the old sticker spot. Use liberally as needed, just be careful not to spray on padding as it will cause the helmet to smell like a oil change place.
4. Use a clean rag to remove the WD-40 when done otherwise new decal will not stick.

Mar 28, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone have anymore suggestions I'd appreciate it.

I told one of the coaches in our org that has replaced old decals that if he demonstrated how he did I'd buy the pop. I told him I usually need to watch something a dozen times before I get it down though......

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I actually googled it. It seems that people do it from football helmets and bicycles. My son is a graphic artist and I know that he would heat it with a hair drier first and then, pick it off. On YouTube I saw a guy with a pencil eraser on a drill and he erased the remaining residue.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would try Krud Kutter first. If that does not work, I would try rubbing alcohol. Goof Off/Mineral Spirits would be my last resort as it may dull the finish on the helmets by removing the polyurethane.

Jul 19, 2012
Lighter fluid on a rag works better than anything.

It won't damage the plastic/polycarbonate. Evaporates and will not leave a residue.

After a quick wipe with a dry clean shop towel the new decal can be applied.

This is directly from a friend who worked as an equipment manager for a major ACC football and baseball power.

Fear the Spear!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32