Changing local rec ball leagues- Whats your experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2024
Changing local rec ball leagues- Whats your experience?

My DD is currently playing in our local 10U Rec League, and she's doing really well. I would say she is one of the more advanced players. She loves to play, and we love watching her.

Unfortunately our league has shrunk over the years and enrollment is down across the board at all levels. And because of low enrollment we didn’t play many teams this season.

Recently, my wife and I have been talking to her about the idea of moving to one of the other local leagues- they have more players, and we think it would be good exposure to keep learning with more advanced players. As well as the possibility of some better coaches.

Im struggling a bit because shes only 10, I want her to have fun, enjoy the game, and not get burned out on the sport.

I am also struggling because we have grown with all of these kids and families in our league, and we have made some really great friends. If we do go somewhere else, I am going to miss them all.

I know all leagues have their issues/struggles, and I am reluctant to go to a new league where she has to prove herself again to a new team only to find out we are dealing with similar issues that we are facing now. I don’t want to have to put my tail between my legs and come back (grass isn’t always a greener situation)

If we do make a move, we were thinking about trying something new during fall ball before fully committing.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Our Rec league didn't offer a fall league so we went to a neighboring league. Our league was much bigger and nicer than the neighboring league. We just wanted more experience instead of playing the in season soccer league. We actually learned some better ways to implement rules that I brought to the board and was able to make improvements.

If you don't like the other league, you can always come back. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Does your current league offer Summer All stars?

Jan 18, 2024
It’s rec. So, what does your dd want to do?
She is open to trying a new league, but she said she would also miss her other teammates, who she started with since 6U.

I read in another thread about a parent going through a similar situation. The parents had to take a step back and let their DD decide.

Obviously, we want to guide her down the right path and do what we think is the best for her, but I don't want our decision to fully influence what she wants to do.

Jan 18, 2024
Our Rec league didn't offer a fall league so we went to a neighboring league. Our league was much bigger and nicer than the neighboring league. We just wanted more experience instead of playing the in season soccer league. We actually learned some better ways to implement rules that I brought to the board and was able to make improvements.

If you don't like the other league, you can always come back. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Does your current league offer Summer All stars?
Our All-Star season is just now starting, and she opted out. We only have a few 10U Teams, and the talent really isn't there for an All-Star Team (a lot of first-year 10U players). I think the All-Star Team is going to struggle against some of these well-oiled local league Teams, and she didn't want to be a part of it.

We have done All-Stars in the past and struggled. I am a little bummed we aren't participating this season however it will be nice to have some free weekends.

Jan 20, 2023
Go watch a game. My daughter got moved to a neighboring town due to low turnout one fall. It was very different. The parents were very aggressive (an email went out about talking to the coach after the game if you didn’t like a call rather than swearing at his wife in the stands- this is 10u rec 3rd base coach calls). My daughter actually took a season off after that season it was so bad.

I was shocked at the difference of heading 30 minutes north vs south.

Jun 18, 2023
Can you come together as a team and be like "we're gonna play in this league now"? Or hell, get a few parents to agree and get the league itself to just be consumed by the other? You're probably not the only one feeling unsatisfied.

Here in NJ we don't really have a choice of rec league, you play with your town. But towns are all mostly tiny so there's tons of teams in leagues, and quite the diversity in quality.

Jan 18, 2024
Can you come together as a team and be like "we're gonna play in this league now"? Or hell, get a few parents to agree and get the league itself to just be consumed by the other? You're probably not the only one feeling unsatisfied.

Here in NJ we don't really have a choice of rec league, you play with your town. But towns are all mostly tiny so there's tons of teams in leagues, and quite the diversity in quality.
We are actively involved, I coach and have tried to become a member of the board on several occasions. We need some new blood to help grow the league but its been a challenge.

Aug 22, 2023
We are actively involved, I coach and have tried to become a member of the board on several occasions. We need some new blood to help grow the league but its been a challenge.
What have you tried to grow your league? Our league (of which I ended up being put on the board without really asking as an at large member just because I was helping out so much) has been shrinking as well. It's a combination of not advertising very much and other local girls' sports getting bigger - lacrosse especially seems to be grabbing more young kids than it used to. Our ideas for getting back in the advertising game are:
  • resurrect our defunct social media
  • put out signs in approved locations
  • flyers in the take-home folders given out by local elementary schools
I find it interesting you said you tried to become a member of the board. In our league one problem (that I've heard is a problem in many different local rec leagues across sports) is that the leadership is typically guys whose daughter's are now in our travel program or aged out. Those guys don't see the various issues that exist day-to-day, so they don't really care to push hard enough to address them. The people who do care don't have enough power to handle them. The little issues add up and people decide to go try a new sport, or they don't recruit friends to come play with them. And so the league shrinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207