Catching throws up-line?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
I see it pretty frequently. For example, on a steal attempt C's throwdown to second goes to the first base side a few feet and SS just quits on it and lets it fly to the OF.

As a rule, the smaller player usually yields to the bigger, and sometimes the fielder yields to the incoming runner regardless of size.

I don't want to make excuses for throws that are offline, but it happens on occasion. Often the runner would be out if SS would just go catch and tag. It is painful to watch when SS gives up on it and allows a first-to-third that should have been a recorded out. Agonizing when the play starts with runners at first and third with 2 outs.

Maybe some SS or first basemen can weigh in on stepping toward an incoming runner to catch a throw without being intimidated. Or as a youth coach do you take a safety-first approach and tell the fielders to let it fly to avoid any chance of collision?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can only speak as a first baseman. There is a time when I teach to let the ball go and not risk dislocating your shoulder. It is that bang bang throw that is down the line and the runner is going to hit your shoulder.

Now, if I am inside the base path and I have picked up a bunt, I put both hands on the ball, make the tag and take a seat on my butt.

It is not the baseman's error, if her 3rd baseman and SS cannot throw.

I will let someone else talk about SS.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
If the throw is slightly off-line toward 1B, SS has responsibility to
keep the ball in the IF. The reachable throw that the SS quits on? This is because your
SS has a fear of collision.

Jan 24, 2009
"The reachable throw that the SS quits on? This is because your
SS has a fear of collision"

Yes, it seems obvious that SS's quit on the one a couple of steps upline because of the runner they see coming in their periphery. But is that the correct thing to do or not? Seems to me the runner naturally wants to avoid collision too, and in almost every case would with two eyes facing the direction she is running. It also seems so obvious when the situation comes up that the SS should go and get the easily catchable ball (especially when the runner is still beat/tag-able). Seems obvious when watching, but I wouldn't want an injury either.

Thanks for the 1b comments Amy. I'll add that I have seen an awful lot of games, and up until at least 16u, player size seems to be the determining factor as to who yields when the first baseman is reaching or stepping up-line. Regardless of how they are coached/taught, if F3 is larger the runner gives up the base. If the runner is bigger than F3, then F3 generally bails. Orange double bag helps, but not always. This makes the case for putting a big girl on first base and is probably equally as important as the 'longer reach' factor.

May 5, 2008
Hmmmm - I took a lot of throws on steals at 2nd base and it never dawned on me to avoid the ball because of the runner. I think it's important that you don't stand in the basepath with the runner coming directly at you. I never went to the base with the intention of blocking it (which is not allowed anyway). I would position myself in a place where I could:
1) catch the ball
2) avoid a collision with the runner
3) make the tag

Now for errant throws that take you into the runner, that's a different issue, but you are talking about plays where the out should have been made if the SS just went over and caught the ball.

It may just be more practice needed. Teach them how to get into that position which is safest for them. Maybe do it with a coach or another player walking toward the bag while they have to catch the ball. Or maybe put a bucket right next to the base and they have to get to the front/1b side of the bag, catch the ball, and tag the bucket without running into it.

Jan 24, 2009
"Now for errant throws that take you into the runner, that's a different issue, but you are talking about plays where the out should have been made if the SS just went over and caught the ball."

StacieM, thanks for the input. Actually the errant throws that take the SS from 2B toward 1B into/against the path of oncoming traffic are the ones being referred to, so I'd be glad to hear more about that different issue. It's kind of hard to describe, but say SS is properly covering the bag but then has to continue toward first to the point that she is in the territory where the baserunner is still upright and not yet sliding. Go and catch or wave bye bye??

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's a matter of modifying the approach angle taken by the SS (e.g., veering inside the diamond parallel to the 1B-2B base path) to avoid a hard collision. It takes practice and awareness to do it live. Catching the ball is the priortiy - you can't catch the ball if you first collide with the runner and you can't tag the runner out without the ball. If the truly errant throw is too common, find a new C, becasue SS/2B aren't covered by warantees!

Feb 24, 2010
It sounds like SS was taught to get to base and stay there and not go after the ball. Our team did something similar last year and it was frustrating: SS was NOT allowed to reach to catch the ball, since this was "slower that letting the ball come to you". So SS NEVER tried to catch the ball but instead waited for it to get to her. I don't agree with this since it teaches the SS to only have to catch perfect throws, which is rare, and not try to catch a throw that is close but not perfect.

I'd check with the coach to see what they are teaching, and maybe that's where the answer lies. I fnot, looks like your team may need to find a better SS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad