catcher's helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2021
update: she likes the schro helmet......i like the no connections for the cage on the forehead, we'll see how the interior padding holds up.......but it's brand new, someone either bought it and didn't like the fit, or it was a display model.....

ended up buying a force 3 chest protector, 20% off, and got the free pair of shin guards........so as long as she doesn't hate their shins, we'll sell the AFX shins that I got a smoking deal on........if i make a little money at that deal, which could be entirely possible, i'll end up with shins/chest/helmet for right around $200....cannot complain about that, all things considered
How do you guys like the force3 chest protector and shin guards? My daughter likes all star but have seen force3 run that both for price of one sale. How is the quality and fit ... and is becoming a "cool" enough brand? Thanks

May 29, 2015
How do you guys like the force3 chest protector and shin guards? My daughter likes all star but have seen force3 run that both for price of one sale. How is the quality and fit ... and is becoming a "cool" enough brand? Thanks

I have a blind spot in that I cannot speak to their catcher's equipment, but I really appreciate that they take a slightly different approach to their umpire's gear. Whereas the vast majority of companies seem to operate under "more furniture foam," Force3 utilizes a very different approach (Kevlar-based). For masks, Force3 goes for the shock absorber system which is also a unique approach.

IMO, All-Star and Force3 are the only current major players who are actually putting some R&D into developing and improving their products. The big upside down golden arches put their money into licensing and giving us products that are 4 decades behind the curve.

Mar 2, 2021
I have a blind spot in that I cannot speak to their catcher's equipment, but I really appreciate that they take a slightly different approach to their umpire's gear. Whereas the vast majority of companies seem to operate under "more furniture foam," Force3 utilizes a very different approach (Kevlar-based). For masks, Force3 goes for the shock absorber system which is also a unique approach.

IMO, All-Star and Force3 are the only current major players who are actually putting some R&D into developing and improving their products. The big upside down golden arches put their money into licensing and giving us products that are 4 decades behind the curve.
Thanks for the review! Happy to hear about safety now I will try to convince my 15 yo it's as cool as Jen Schro. She is very practical but she's also 15 and it's been tough when your whole life your dad has been buying you "Great Value" brand equipment. I'm beginning to be more understanding on that part of it. @tim_s and anyone else, I'd love to hear how force3 plays and also how it plays as a brand with the girls and their peers. My pitch is this way you could pick your own color and match rather than have to hodge podge it piece by piece ... but I couldn't argue if she told me that f3 chest protector is kinda ugly. Any college fastpitch players wearing f3?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Thanks for the review! Happy to hear about safety now I will try to convince my 15 yo it's as cool as Jen Schro. She is very practical but she's also 15 and it's been tough when your whole life your dad has been buying you "Great Value" brand equipment. I'm beginning to be more understanding on that part of it. @tim_s and anyone else, I'd love to hear how force3 plays and also how it plays as a brand with the girls and their peers. My pitch is this way you could pick your own color and match rather than have to hodge podge it piece by piece ... but I couldn't argue if she told me that f3 chest protector is kinda ugly. Any college fastpitch players wearing f3?
My daughter wound up getting the All-Star PHX gear, and she absolutely loves it. She says it's the best set she's ever worn, and she's had about five sets in her softball career. She thought she liked the Jen Schro stuff until she tried on the Halstead stuff. It's not cheap, even with my discount, but so far, so good.

May 20, 2015

loves them - chest protector is far and away the best she's had, it took a little getting used to (it is a litter stiffer out of the box), and there was def a learning curve in terms of loading her gear bag, as it just doesn't roll up nice and small like thinner protectors.......but the protection is excellent, and the more she wears it the better it feels........straps on the shins feel good, and they don't move around and protect as they should; to her unless the straps are uncomfortable or they move around, the shins are the least important of the pieces of gear; they seem to be holding up well in terms of scratching, discoloration

in terms of coolness? my kid def would rather buck/set the trend vs follow it......we've seen very few if any with force3 gear, and she likes it that way.......this will be the gear she plans to bring with her to college, and we will buy force 3 again to replace this when it wears.......i'll try and sell her on their helmet then, and get a full set

Jul 15, 2021
I like the All-Star, Easton JS, and the Evoshield. The Evoshield is very expensive, even with my discount, but the ones I have sold rave about it.

@LEsoftballdad - I'm looking at replacing a complete set of gear for my HS team. We have one set of Schro "Very Best" that probably has a couple more seasons left, but I was thinking of getting something different. Now that another season is wrapping up, has there been more talk about Evoshield equipment? I cant really find much out about their gear other than its extreme cost.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
@LEsoftballdad - I'm looking at replacing a complete set of gear for my HS team. We have one set of Schro "Very Best" that probably has a couple more seasons left, but I was thinking of getting something different. Now that another season is wrapping up, has there been more talk about Evoshield equipment? I cant really find much out about their gear other than its extreme cost.
It's good gear, but it wouldn't be good as a team set since it molds to a specific user.

Dec 15, 2019
All Star hands down. They’ve done some great things, my daughter loves her set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach