catcher OBS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Correct which leads us to the runner. You would think if she was in possession of the ball the runner would take an outside route around a potential tag rather than go right at her.

Depends on when she got the ball. Assuming the catcher had possession of the ball just before the runner made contact, the runner probably wouldn't have had time to alter her path. Also, runners make dumb decisions all the time. On a potential play at home, I want my players doing an outside hook slide. It's safer for everyone, and there's a higher chance of being safe. That said, there some player who go in with the intent of collision.

Don’t you think the runner should have access to the entire plate if the catcher is without the ball?
Runner should be able to pick her spot not be influenced where the catcher is positioned.

What we think doesn't matter. The rules do not require the fielder to "give access". The rules only mandate that a fielder without possession of the ball may not hinder the progress of the runner. The rule does not go into effect until the runner is actually hindered.

If the runner's progress is affected by the presence of a fielder without possession of the ball, it's obstruction. This includes changing path, slowing, stopping. Collision with the fielder is not required for obstruction. In the case of this play, however, it appears likely that the runner did not change her path due to the presence of the catcher, so it becomes a matter of when the catcher had possession of the ball.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
Does anyone teach that type of slide on purpose? If you think you're dead, aim for the shin guard and hope for obstruction?

It was a much closer play than I expected - even though her foot bounced off the shin guard, it almost landed on home plate right before she was tagged on the back of the leg.

May 29, 2015

I think I’ve worked there! Beautiful complex ...

It was either NFHS or PGF, guessing by the location and uniforms.

So, the NFHS (and this PGF) definition looks like this:
Rule 2 Definitions
SECTION 36 OBSTRUCTION (DEFENSE) Obstruction is the act of the defensive team member that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball or that impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is making the initial play on a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.

The catcher moves her foot before receiving the ball. It isn’t much, but it is where the runner was going. I don’t think I like it ... feels as if we are rewarding bad base running (on the slide), but by the letter of the rule, it was the right call.

Now ... having said that, had the runner altered course to go into the catcher with that much real estate still available, I’m NOT giving her the obstruction and possibly issuing a warning (or more) for initiating contact. However, she didn’t change course and then catcher’s foot prevented the runner from touching home plate.

Let me make a crazy argument and see what you think ...

The runner did not deviate/change course because of where the catcher was. The runner did not deviate/change course before the catcher had the ball so there was no obstruction up to that point. The actual contact did not occur until after the catcher had the ball. The runner did nothing different until after the catcher had the ball. I’m considering no obstruction ... 🤔

Jun 4, 2019
That looks like perfect catcher footwork and set up to me. Left heel on the left front corner of the plate with toe pointing to third base. Runner has the entire back half of the plate to slide into.

Just my opinion.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The runner did not deviate/change course because of where the catcher was. The runner did not deviate/change course before the catcher had the ball so there was no obstruction up to that point. The actual contact did not occur until after the catcher had the ball. The runner did nothing different until after the catcher had the ball. I’m considering no obstruction ... 🤔

Same thing I'm seeing. It's close - very close - and in real time in a game situation, I can see how it could be called either way.

I saw the video catcher set up just in front of the picture position the picture is just after catch and her foot drifted to picture position in which runner slid into catcher leg as glove coming down for the tag the tag was made before runner touched plate. I feel she obstructed the runner with her leg while in possession of the ball then tagged runner. Is that legal she had the ball before the obstruction. I thought catcher played it perfectly.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I saw the video catcher set up just in front of the picture position the picture is just after catch and her foot drifted to picture position in which runner slid into catcher leg as glove coming down for the tag the tag was made before runner touched plate. I feel she obstructed the runner with her leg while in possession of the ball then tagged runner. Is that legal she had the ball before the obstruction. I thought catcher played it perfectly.

Once the defensive player has possession of the ball, she can block the base/plate as much as she wants.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00