catcher OBS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Her foot being in fair territory wouldn’t necessarily mean she isn’t blocking the plate, as the plate itself is in fair territory.
I am assuming she is waiting on the ball as she has not yet tried to apply the tag. Ideally I would like to see the catcher about a foot back out in front of the plate. This way there is no doubt she is not blocking the plate and is in a good position to apply a tag without putting herself at risk.
In the pic I would say obs. I agree it’s a terrible slide but the catcher is blocking the front left corner of the plate seemingly without the ball putting herself in a compromising and totally avoidable position.

Apr 28, 2019
I thought this was a discussion of the obstruction rule, not proper catcher positioning for a play at the plate. I wouldn't teach a catcher to lay down on top of home plate without possession of the ball because it's not effective positioning for the game...but it's not a violation of the obstruction rule.
If you are in proper position obs call will never be an issue. Catcher has to protect themselves at all times. Runners won’t hesitate to initiate a collision if catcher is out of position.
Leave no doubt you know what your doing and where you need to be. Make it real easy for the ump to make the correct call which if done correctly will be no call.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In the pic I would say obs. I agree it’s a terrible slide but the catcher is blocking the front left corner of the plate seemingly without the ball putting herself in a compromising and totally avoidable position.

How do you know the catcher doesn't have the ball? She might. Or, she might not. We can't see from the posted pic.

Apr 28, 2019
How do you know the catcher doesn't have the ball? She might. Or, she might not. We can't see from the posted pic.
Like I mentioned earlier I don’t know for certain but you have to assume by her posture/position she is waiting on the ball. If she had the ball you would think she would be moving into position to make a tag.
So if she is still waiting on the throw obs.
If she has the ball no issue result of the play should stand. If she did indeed have the ball you would think the runner would have tried to go around her to avoid a tag not right at her.

Nov 18, 2015
I know we can’t tell definitively if she has the ball - but look at her head position (she’s looking towards the runner) and how low she’s squatting. I can’t see that being a very effective or comfortable position to be in while waiting for a throw.

To me, it looks like she’s just caught it and is about to sweep the glove across as she’s lowering her body.

And yes - horrible slide.

No ball? Obstruction - runner has to go around her leg to reach the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Like I mentioned earlier I don’t know for certain but you have to assume by her posture/position she is waiting on the ball. If she had the ball you would think she would be moving into position to make a tag.
So if she is still waiting on the throw obs.
If she has the ball no issue result of the play should stand. If she did indeed have the ball you would think the runner would have tried to go around her to avoid a tag not right at her.

Looks to me that it's just as likely that she has just received the ball as it is that she is about to receive it. Without seeing the ball, all we can do is guess,

Apr 28, 2019
Looks to me that it's just as likely that she has just received the ball as it is that she is about to receive it. Without seeing the ball, all we can do is guess,
Correct which leads us to the runner. You would think if she was in possession of the ball the runner would take an outside route around a potential tag rather than go right at her.

May 29, 2015
Her foot being in fair territory wouldn’t necessarily mean she isn’t blocking the plate, as the plate itself is in fair territory.

🤪 D’oh! I’ll take my lumps for that one! Of course she’s in fair territory.

What I meant to say was in the front of the batter’s box (in front of the plate). Brain misfire? Still may be taking up some real estate, but is not where I would say she impedes the runner.

Apr 28, 2019
🤪 D’oh! I’ll take my lumps for that one! Of course she’s in fair territory.

What I meant to say was in the front of the batter’s box (in front of the plate). Brain misfire? Still may be taking up some real estate, but is not where I would say she impedes the runner.
Don’t you think the runner should have access to the entire plate if the catcher is without the ball?
Runner should be able to pick her spot not be influenced where the catcher is positioned.

May 29, 2015
Hence the term “impedes the runner”. The runner is not granted (by rule) full access.

If her foot is blocking the front and the runner is going to the back, I’ve likely got nothing.

If her foot is blocking the front and the runner is going to the front, I may have something.

If her foot is blocking the front and I see the runner change course to the back before the catcher has the ball, I’ve definitely got something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00