Calling Ptiches - Why are coaches so bad at it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
My 12U DD (pitcher) is subbing on a Fall team and her coach will sit on the bucket (like a lot of other coaches) and call pitches with locations during game. I have several issues with this and I am wondering if this changes as they get older.

Do coaches think if they call the perfect game (and the pitcher hits their spots) they give their team a better chance of winning (12U mind you)? She slows her pitches down to try and hit the right spots, trying to throw that perfect pitch. He calls a lot of fastballs (for strikes), even when she gets ahead in the count. He doesn't call her change-up nearly enough and calls her curve-ball waaaaaay to much.

The biggest mistake she/we ever made was telling him that she throws a curve-ball. It may or may not curve (it's a work in progress) and a curve ball that doesn't curve is meat (so why call it during the game?). He refuses to call her change-up enough (she has a deadly flip change, I just don't' get it).

He called to talk over the last tournament game she pitched in. She said she pitched well (they won) but the other teams #4 hitter owned her (I wanted to ask him why he kept throwing her fastballs but I didn't).

My philosophy thus far has been, it's not my team, stay out of it. On my team I have taught my DD what pitches to throw and when. Her and the catcher work it out (with signs and strategies). If there is an issue we discuss it after that inning or game. If there is a particular pitch I want at a certain time in the game I will give the catcher a sign (this is rare). I try to teach the kids the "why" along with the "how". The less of me (the coach) and the more of them the better.

I do feel better for venting...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd pitched all spring for HS JV so she missed all of her TB teams spring practices. First time she was with her team was literally the first game of the year. No problem, she has been with the same group for years and the coaches know her. Minutes prior to the first game the coach asks me what is dd throwing these days, I told him how great her change up has become, and I told him she has a drop curve in progress. Throws it ok in practice but is not confident in it to throw in games. OK, first game he calls for the drop curve 50% of the time. She got hit a bit more then she had all spring on the ones she hung, walked a couple but in the end we won the game.

Spoke to the coach later in case he misunderstood me. Nope I want that pitch ready by the time we hit the middle of the season and the only way to make that happen is to use it.

And by the end of the year she was snapping that pitch off, no way it would have been that good that soon if she didn't use it in games. I also didn't think he called for the change up enough.

May 17, 2012
I understand you would like less fastballs , but do you have a problem with him calling locations?

I would say if you want her to pitch a girl inside because she stands on top of the plate why can't you just tell the pitcher to do that in general. Why do you have to call fastball, inside, low.

If you have data on the batter why not share it wither the pitcher and catcher before the game (or inning). Do some coaches think they have a secret algorithm on getting batters out that they can't share with the pitchers?

When I played baseball I can't remember a coach calling a pitch unless it was a pitchout or pickoff play.

It seems to me that some coaches are looking to insert themselves into the game and in the process they are making mindless robots.

Just my thoughts.

Jan 24, 2011
I would say if you want her to pitch a girl inside because she stands on top of the plate why can't you just tell the pitcher to do that in general. Why do you have to call fastball, inside, low.

If you have data on the batter why not share it wither the pitcher and catcher before the game (or inning). Do some coaches think they have a secret algorithm on getting batters out that they can't share with the pitchers?

When I played baseball I can't remember a coach calling a pitch unless it was a pitchout or pickoff play.

It seems to me that some coaches are looking to insert themselves into the game and in the process they are making mindless robots.

Just my thoughts.

All inside or outside pitches are not created equally (inside belt high is not the same as inside high/low). At the younger levels (up thru 14u) , most pitchers havent mastered the game well enough yet to fully grasp how to "pitch". I think this is where the coach comes in as a tool for the pitcher to learn.

Last edited:
Do coaches think if they call the perfect game (and the pitcher hits their spots) they give their team a better chance of winning (12U mind you)? She slows her pitches down to try and hit the right spots, trying to throw that perfect pitch. He calls a lot of fastballs (for strikes), even when she gets ahead in the count. He doesn't call her change-up nearly enough and calls her curve-ball waaaaaay to much.

The biggest mistake she/we ever made was telling him that she throws a curve-ball. It may or may not curve (it's a work in progress) and a curve ball that doesn't curve is meat (so why call it during the game?). He refuses to call her change-up enough (she has a deadly flip change, I just don't' get it).

My philosophy thus far has been, it's not my team, stay out of it. On my team I have taught my DD what pitches to throw and when. Her and the catcher work it out (with signs and strategies).

I sit on a bucket calling pitches for my 12U team. If anyone has something else that is USSSA certified for sitting on while calling and charting pitches, please let me know.

Not all coaches suck at calling pitches. In fact, I am a PCG (pitch calling genius). That being said, I have a good relationship with all of our pitchers and catchers. Most of all we talk about what's working best, where the ump is calling strikes and balls, and what to look for. I also make the battery think about the situation, the right pitch and the right location. My daughter could probably call a game better than I, but that's because I trust her (a difficult thing for many coaches). The grand plan is for the #1 & #2 to call their own pitches in a few games this year because I want them to grow....not because a parent doesn't agree with how I use their dd in-game.

When calling pitches it's my job to notice the little things a batter does, find a hole in the swing, see where she's at in the box. At 12U I just want my pitchers to relax and throw the ball. BTW, if a pitcher has to slow down to hit a location....she's got a problem.

Jul 26, 2010
Most coaches do suck at calling pitches. The ones that are good at calling pitches teach their catchers how to do it. As a general rule, if you see a coach on a bucket calling pitches, he/she is bad at it.

-W

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A good rule of thumb is if you don' like the way the coach does things, then start you own team.

So a pitcher who's mechanics break down when trying to hit spots isn't to blame? The person calling the spots is?

A change up is not very effectively if it isn't a surprise, like when a pitcher throws it a lot. You said her curve probably doesn't curve, and her coach is stupid for having her throw fastballs to their #4 hitter. What other choices did he have?

Also, sorry, I wrote before reading all of your post, but still I know my pitcher(s) parents b atch about me.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
The topic is poorly worded, I am not trying to throw rocks at anyone. I am just trying to understand the bucket coaches point of view. If a coach stated that when he calls a game the team ERA is one run lower than when he doesn't I would understand that. If bucket coach says has played this team 5 times and 5 games worth of pitching data I could understand that (not sure why you couldn't share it with pitcher/catcher though).

When I see someone doing something different I always try to understand why (and see if it makes me a better coach).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors