Bucket Dad Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Is there a particular reason why I should get a 1B mitt over a 12.5 or 12.75 outfielder's glove?

A bit more padding, similar build to catcher's glove, and it may help with pitches skipping off the ground. Purely a matter of preference. However, I wouldn't recommend any other type of baseball glove unless the pocket is unusually large.

Jan 25, 2022
I agree with everything said in this quoted post about the Liberty Advanced. I use a Liberty Advanced 34" to catch for my daughter. She throws in the 59-61 mph range. If I don't catch the ball correctly it can hurt pretty good. I usually where a leather work glove underneath the Liberty Advanced. The leather glove helps a little with poorly caught pitches. Lots of room in the Liberty Advanced 34" model for a mans hands

This is the glove i wear underneath the Liberty Advanced. Just trying to give you an idea of how much room is in the 34" version of the Liberty Advanced. My hands are relatively big. I wear a 2xl glove underneath. After owning the Liberty Advanced for 5 years the hand protection/padding could be better IMO.

View attachment 29274

Can confirm, the LA has a lot of inside room. I have very small hands for a guy my size and I also wear a glove just to give me a bit more grip and fill some space. I still have to reset my grip for every pitch. It's not as hardcore a glove as that, though. The one I have is slightly padded and specifically made for a catcher.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My old Under Armour Catchers Mitt walked off from me the other day. I need a new one that will accommodate short but fat fingers and hands. My pitcher pitches around 63. The Under Armour one wasn't protecting my hand too well but that may have been just to my inability to catching in the pocket. RIGHT handed throw.
Back to Brian's original question about catcher's mitts....his self admitted inability to square up a 63 mph pitch is a perfect recipe for pain!! Most, and I say most Dad's here don't ever get to sample 63 mph, it can hurt you!

Are we talking 63 mph straight gas, or a hard spinning 63 mph, or both?

I've never owned a custom HOH mitt off of the builder, if I were doing this all over again, that would be my first choice, expensive....yes!

What I do know for a fact, for straight gas, you can't beat a Vinci just for their palm pad, period! And for the spinner, it's All-Star for their excellent thumb protection with it's single break hinge / heel. Thumb stingers are the worst, wayyy more painful than just hard impacts to the palm!

Jan 10, 2024
A bit more padding, similar build to catcher's glove, and it may help with pitches skipping off the ground. Purely a matter of preference. However, I wouldn't recommend any other type of baseball glove unless the pocket is unusually large.
Gotcha. Sorry, I just chimed in on this thread instead of creating a new one. I'm just looking for a glove to play catch with my daughter and to use when coaching. Not necessarily for a "bucket mitt" like the thread title implies. She's got one more year of 8U, but I'd prefer to just get a good enough glove that will last me the next 10 years or so. If she gets into pitching, I'll worry about getting a mitt at that point. So for just a standard glove, is a baseball 1B mitt still a better option over a 12.5 or 12.75 outfielder's baseball glove? Figured those could be broken in with a deep/wider pocket, but maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe a 1B glove would just help future-proof me (whether my daughter starts pitching or if I need to help out catching other girls at practice in future years)...

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I use a Jadier Molina model HOH baseball mitt to catch my daughter with no issues. The key is to break it in with a softball, and the pocket is plenty big. And with all the extra padding, it handles 64 with ease.

Jul 11, 2023
I might get (justifiably) murdered by the glove aficionados here. But I've been rocking a 12.5" Adidas glove that wasn't very expensive and is older than any of my kids just fine. Only maintenance really has been to tighten the laces occasionally and leaving a ball in the pocket.

TIP is your friend for a deeper pocket.

Edit: Adding photo with old murder weapon ball.

PXL_20240116_171038435.jpg

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Gotcha. Sorry, I just chimed in on this thread instead of creating a new one. I'm just looking for a glove to play catch with my daughter and to use when coaching. Not necessarily for a "bucket mitt" like the thread title implies. She's got one more year of 8U, but I'd prefer to just get a good enough glove that will last me the next 10 years or so. If she gets into pitching, I'll worry about getting a mitt at that point. So for just a standard glove, is a baseball 1B mitt still a better option over a 12.5 or 12.75 outfielder's baseball glove? Figured those could be broken in with a deep/wider pocket, but maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe a 1B glove would just help future-proof me (whether my daughter starts pitching or if I need to help out catching other girls at practice in future years)...

For general use, I'd go with a decent/good quality 12.5 inch Slow-Pitch fielding glove. I've been using my Wilson for over 20 years.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I use a Jadier Molina model HOH baseball mitt to catch my daughter with no issues. The key is to break it in with a softball, and the pocket is plenty big. And with all the extra padding, it handles 64 with ease.
Fancy...it should for what one of those costs.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414