Bruise on thigh on throwing side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
About a year ago I posted about my dd bruising her hip and elbow. She has stopped doing that. However after this weekend she has bruises on her thigh on throwing side. Any ideas what may have caused this?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Without video it's really tough to say. Is she working on a rise or palm up curve? Is her arm generally straight at release? Has she changed anything in her form lately? Does her upper arm blow by the lock phase? Does she feel any soreness on any part of her forearm? What does she think caused it?

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
She been working on palm up curve for a while and learning rise ball spin. Her arm isn't straight at release. No recent changes. No her arm doesn't miss lock phase. no soreness. She says she has not idea where the bruises came from. Maybe they aren't pitching related. But they are located about where her hands fall at thigh.

Without video it's really tough to say. Is she working on a rise or palm up curve? Is her arm generally straight at release? Has she changed anything in her form lately? Does her upper arm blow by the lock phase? Does she feel any soreness on any part of her forearm? What does she think caused it?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I've heard that learning a palm up curve and/or rise can result in issues, but mainly on the forearm. Seems too low to be pitching related. Has she bonked her thigh with the ball?

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
How is her brush contact? Believe it or not, you can get too much brush. Last time we went to see Rick Pauly, DD had arm circle going above her head which resulted in too much brush. Now that she knows this, when she does this she understands what and why and how to make the correction. I will see is I could get the video uploaded from my camera where he is discussing this.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
How is her brush contact? Believe it or not, you can get too much brush. Last time we went to see Rick Pauly, DD had arm circle going above her head which resulted in too much brush. Now that she knows this, when she does this she understands what and why and how to make the correction. I will see is I could get the video uploaded from my camera where he is discussing this.

For DD, her hand would see to be stuck at the thigh....it seemed like her unloading was being affected. Also, this was where the ball would hit her when it seemed to roll out of her hand.
....and yes, it would leave a mark on her leg when she did this.

Aug 21, 2008
About a year ago I posted about my dd bruising her hip and elbow. She has stopped doing that. However after this weekend she has bruises on her thigh on throwing side. Any ideas what may have caused this?

If it's a penny for my thought but, giving you my 2 cents, where's the other cent go? Someone's making a penny!!! Think about it.

If I had to guess, your DD is not turning sideways. Make sure at the 12:00 position her back shoulder is hidden from the catcher. Is it? If so, it means she's closing too early so, 2 things need to happen: she needs to make sure her front foot is at 45 degrees or more (to insure the hips are open) and make sure the arm circle is fast, straight and getting THROUGH the hips before they close. It could be other things, but my money is on the foot not being turned at the release, thus the body closes prematurely. I'm pretty sure I still have tender spots where I did it myself.. just checked... confirmed. Sore spots. Sometimes it can be the footing of where she lands that makes the foot straighten up. Sometimes it's just a bad habit that went awry.

Try to keep the fix simple. It's PROBABLY a simple problem.

Bill

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks so much to you Crystal and Ken B! We are thinking it was a combination of all three comments. Seems as though throwing too many curves bleed into her fastball as her glove shoulder was rotating and causing her back shoulder to rotate which threw a lot of things off. She has worked hard on staying sideways on her fastball and things are looking a lot better!

If it's a penny for my thought but, giving you my 2 cents, where's the other cent go? Someone's making a penny!!! Think about it.

If I had to guess, your DD is not turning sideways. Make sure at the 12:00 position her back shoulder is hidden from the catcher. Is it? If so, it means she's closing too early so, 2 things need to happen: she needs to make sure her front foot is at 45 degrees or more (to insure the hips are open) and make sure the arm circle is fast, straight and getting THROUGH the hips before they close. It could be other things, but my money is on the foot not being turned at the release, thus the body closes prematurely. I'm pretty sure I still have tender spots where I did it myself.. just checked... confirmed. Sore spots. Sometimes it can be the footing of where she lands that makes the foot straighten up. Sometimes it's just a bad habit that went awry.

Try to keep the fix simple. It's PROBABLY a simple problem.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06