Blown play by Michigan coach--pretty dumb error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Bottom of 7, score ties 0-0. Lead-off runner doubles.

#2 batter comes up. Does she bunt runner to 3rd? Nope...the #2 batter grounds out to SS, runner at 2B does not advance. Next batter walks. Next batter flies out to RF, runners don't advance. Last batter flies out to RF.

Top of 8, Illinois scores 5 runs. Game over.

Silly, silly mistake.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I didn't see the game. Was the ground out to SS slow enough for the run at 3 to score? ( if she had been bunted over )

Was the first fly out deep enough to tag up ( on 3 ) to score?

I've made that silly mistake once or twice. One, I may not have a 'good' bunter coming up. Two, my next 2 hitters may be hot for the day or weekend so I let them swing away. Works sometimes, sometimes not.*

Had pretty much a game like that last night. DD pitching against AA defending state champs in a HS tourney. 0-0 in 6th ( 75 min game ) we are home. Our player walks, steals 2nd, bunt up first line, opponent overthrows 3rd, run scores...........ballgame.*

( I didn't get to see it, getting phone play by play from my father )

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Bottom of 7, score ties 0-0. Lead-off runner doubles.

#2 batter comes up. Does she bunt runner to 3rd? Nope...the #2 batter grounds out to SS, runner at 2B does not advance. Next batter walks. Next batter flies out to RF, runners don't advance. Last batter flies out to RF.

Top of 8, Illinois scores 5 runs. Game over.

Silly, silly mistake.

Simulated game situation practice. No outs, runner on 2nd. What are your options batter? Ball on the ground with a bunt, or hit toward the right side. Look for that pitch with which you can advance the runner. That is a total of two options, two scenarios, and doesn't seem too much for a college player to grasp! Is it coach's fault? Well as least her batter didn't have a clue or had a brain cramp.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I saw this part of the game and said the same thing to my wife. I can't imagine Coach Hutch having the brain cramp; it may have been an execution issue or missed sign.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
GD, the flyball to RF *might* have been deep enough. It wasn't shallow or deep. It would have been a close play for most runners. If a bunt had been successful, the lead-off batter would have been at 3rd. I assume she is one of the fastest kids on the team. So, I think it would have taken a great play by RF to get her.

My philosophy would have been to bunt the runner to 3rd. With a runner at third and one out in the 7th, the other team has to pull their infielders in as well as their outfielders. It is one thing to avoid playing small ball at the beginning of the game. It is another not to play small ball in the bottom of the 7th with the score tied 0-0.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd