Blast Motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Any thoughts on the most and least important metrics this gives out?

My 10-U DD’s starting connection is really awful, which seems to come from a more upright stance.

Aug 8, 2016
Bat speed, attack angle, time to contact: These ones seem to be the ones I look at the most, and are the easiest to compare between hitters and between various sessions.

Connection score, early connection, on plane efficiency, connection at impact: The individual swing numbers tend to be all over the place, so I really only look at averages, but they also can show good scores for bad swings, so I don't put a lot of stock into them.

I am still not sure what to make of the rotational categories.
I have not found any use for peak hand speed, vertical bat angle, and power.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Bat speed and time to contact. Mine has something they call blast factor. It is all over the place. Useless. Put al tee alt home plate. Set the task. Hit line drives to RCF that reach the grass in the air. Can she do 10 in a row? Good. Now front toss or pitch. Can she hit 8 out of ten line drives to the grass. Good. Make a task and set a goal. She will have to stay relaxed and focused which is more important than any metric.

Dec 11, 2010
PCR screen:

Plane, connection, rotation.

Did a lot of what Rolling Hard said above before dd went to college. Had blast sensor but she wasnt interested in it. Now she wont hit without having her phone with PCR screen in view. After using it so much she has begun to "feel" the metrics in her swing.

To improve connection, check out coachjsoriano on instagram. He works with a lot of young hitters. Look at where his hitters launch their swing, particularly the drills that the bat starts from where the neck meets the shoulders.

With a young hitter it can be easy to get caught up in minutia that they aren't ready for. Emphasize hitting the middle of the ball hard.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Especially with a young player.

But that wasn’t the question, lol

ETA: when I hear her talk or watch her hit, it seems clear to me that her brain is wired to hit, hit, hit. I bet it completely pisses her off to get walked.

Oct 10, 2018
Least important metric - Connection. Seems like my DD's numbers get thrown off and are super low b/c she wiggles the bat a bit and the blast doesn't seem to know when to start the calculation. Best metric, rotation - no rotation, no power. Plane comes naturally to my DD and is always high so we just ignore it. JMO, YMMV.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
What produced this? Metrics or the ability to relax and focus?

I've watched this video so many times it's crazy. I've even tried emulating it with my DD... It is a great angle and really shows the pure connections.. That being said, compare how many footprints at the beginning to how many at the end.. Haha

Dec 11, 2010
I have never noticed the footprints! Great observation!

I have watched it about 3x. Could barely get through it every time. I don’t know if it’s the song which I can’t stand or because I find her to be a little off-putting.

Dec 11, 2010
Least important metric - Connection.

Maybe until your college coach emphasizes P/C/R for the first five months of your freshman year, lol.

I‘m pretty happy with what DD’s college coaches did with her swing. (You hear tb coaches and parents complain about college coaches changing a hitters swing but I was impressed with improvement.) I was previously not a believer in blast motion at all but dd came home with a deeper understanding of her swing now and some of that has to do with an emphasis on being aware of metrics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06