Best summer college/recruiting camps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
DD is going to be a freshman this coming year and its time to send her to a few college or recruiting camps over the summer. I remember the fun and the people I got to meet at these events in my days so while exposure is the goal we all know the friendships and memories made over a summer like this are the best part.

What college camps and recruiting camps do you all recommend?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
College camps can get expensive, so I would recommend you pick and choose which camps you attend based on your DD's "realistic" preference in schools. I would also highly recommend getting on a TB team that will play in college showcase tournaments this summer. Lot of coaches attend and the cost/player to attend a showcase is a lot less than a camp.

Jul 26, 2010
Most summer camps are fundraisers for the school programs. The actual "recruiting" camps are small and invitation only. Smaller schools have exposure/recruiting camps over Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays.

As JAD mentioned, most good showcases have an extra day where they have 20-50 colleges putting on camps. PGF tournaments are really good about this. The idea is that your kid goes to 1 or 2 camps for schools they are genuinely interested in (each school has from 5-10 players per camp, with a few D1 schools having as much as 40 kids which is the limit) and then the coaches get to see them play over the weekend. The point is for your kid to establish a relationship with the schools they are interested in. From there, they will get correspondence inviting them to other opportunities.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If your DD is academically gifted I would HIGHLY recommend she attend the Pennsbury camp. Almost every single Ivy League and Patriot League school will be there. Because of the emphasis on academics, you may want to wait until your DD finishes her sophomore year before you apply. The grade and test score requirements are strict and you must submit a copy of your DD's transcript.

Welcome to the Pennsbury Invitational Tournament Website

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Pennsbury Academic camp is the way to go, if the DD has the grades. Mine attended last summer after her sophomore year. There were as many total players at the Academic Camp as there were pitchers the following day at the regular recruiting camp. In DD's year, there was ONE outfielder showcasing her skills at the Academic camp.

Nov 1, 2013
Ohio
Queen of Diamonds South and North. My dd says they were the best experiences for her in the recruiting process. Lots of coaches, required to market herself (I did nothing after this) played with girls from all over the country. Must of worked cause she's playing at a D11 next year:)

Feb 7, 2013
If your DD is academically gifted I would HIGHLY recommend she attend the Pennsbury camp. Almost every single Ivy League and Patriot League school will be there. Because of the emphasis on academics, you may want to wait until your DD finishes her sophomore year before you apply.

Just for the fun of it, I imported and analyzed some of the pitching data from the June 2013 Pennsbury Softball Recruiting Camp and observed the following:

The average speed of all campers fastball was 56mph

The average speed of all campers change-up was 42mph

The average speed difference between all campers fastball and change-up was 14mph or (35%)

The average speed of all campers best pitch (I assume the camper could choose their "best pitch") was 54mph

The average revolutions per second (RPS) for all campers was 18

Of the approximately 120 pitchers, only a handful actually threw 60+ mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Rocketech1: Did I give you DD's number from Pennsbury? LOL.

Those were her pitching numbers!

Two of the 60+ hurlers were right behind my Monster (all 5'3 115 lbs of her). Every coach paid notice to those two girls - they were very tall!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC