Before there was "Internal Rotation"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I was looking back at some old threads going way back. Over a year before Boardmembers classic "Internal Rotation" explanation it was being suggested in a thread entitled "Snap the Wrist"

A poster named Armwhip (great name considering his post) was trying to convince everyone that the traditionally taught wrist snap was not the proper motion of elite pitchers.

I believe, based on the digital high speed video that I have collected, that the wrist snap plays a very small part in the fastpitch delivery. The wrist snap is overemphasised by many coaches to the detriment of young pitchers. You will never, ever, see a decent pitcher, with the wrist cocked back in a loaded position. You will never, ever, see a decent pitcher with her hand on top of the ball at the 9 o'clock position as she comes into release (unless, ironically, it is a changeup). If the wrist is not cocked back and the hand on top of the ball how can you have a wrist snap that contributes any significant speed to ball? Yet, in spite of overwhelming video evidence, coaches continue to teach 'wrist snap'. Why? It beats me

It is interesting to read through the thread and see what many regular posters were saying at that time and how some views have changed in just a little over a year.

This Forum is a GREAT teaching tool. The "Internal Rotation" thread alone was one of the most valueable peices of fastpitch advice I have ever ran across. Well done Mark. Happy New Year.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The hand does not add to ball speed., It adds 1% per the Olympic report to coaches.

Wrist snap probably accounts for 99% of ball spin. Ball spin is the major contributing factor to ball movement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC