Batting out of order?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
During our game over the weekend the opposing team had a player bat out of order. She received 2 pitches (didn't swing at either one) to her before our book keeper caught the error.

What is the call on the play?

What did happen is:

1) Batter that batted out of order and received 2 pitches (1 ball, 1 strike) was sent back to the dugout.
2) The "correct" batter stepped up to the plate and received the 1 ball, 1 strike count.
3) The game continued from that point forward.

I was always thought that if a player batted out of order and received 1 pitch to them then that player would be given an out for batting out of order. The umpire told our coaches that since the batter didn't put the ball in play then "technically" she didn't bat out of order.

Correct call?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I saw this happen recently and the batter reached first base. So, then, the batter that missed her turn was out. And the player that reached first base, batted again.

When I catch the other team out of order, I always let the batter finish her at bat.

I saw this happen recently and the batter reached first base. So, then, the batter that missed her turn was out. And the player that reached first base, batted again.

When I catch the other team out of order, I always let the batter finish her at bat.

Usually in league play I speak up right away, half the time the other coach has the right name but mixed up the number or skipped someone and has his whole line up out of whack...but come All Star or if at a TB tourney I always wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz