Batter with toe touching the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Wow. I've always heard that the answers you get from Little League Headquarters can vary wildly...depending on which janitor happens to answer the phone that day.

LL rules do not support either of the "rulings" you were given.

I have recently heard that LL now has a Facebook page. Maybe you could post your question there and get an answer from actual experienced umpires.

My ruling...If a batter sets up prior to the pitch and a foot is outside the batter's box...Umpire should not allow a pitch to be thrown. Suspend play and instruct the batter to properly position themselves within the box. Resume play once the batter is properly positioned.

There is no rule for calling a batter out because his foot is outside the box, or touching the plate, prior to the pitch...or, after the pitch for that matter, if the pitch is not hit.

You are missing the ramifications. The batter is required to take their position in the BB and be prepared to bat within 10 seconds. While you are holding the pitcher waiting for the batter, that clock is running. If necessary, the umpire can call a strike every 10 seconds. Usually the first strike solves any issue.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You are missing the ramifications...

Oh sure, I get all that. Just wanted to clear up what this poster was told by "Little League Headquarters" first. If the "ruling" they got was that a batter can be called out just for setting up with a toe out of the box, before a pitch is even thrown, or after a pitch is thrown that wasn't contacted by the bat, then they are getting some seriously bad information.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Brett- I did as you said and posted on Facebook. (I can't believe I did that...). It turned out to appear to be a good resource. they said what you said and added that the Umpire can start calling strikes if the batter refuses to set up correctly (which I have seen in the rulebook).

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I checked out that Facebook page earlier today and saw some familiar names. Three of the guys responding to rules questions there, Manny, Rich and Kyle are experienced Little League umpires whom I have corresponded with for nearly a decade on other internet forums. Whatever answers they give, you can pretty much take it to the bank.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Bret!
also, I want to share the interesting last response that I received:
In the perhaps tens of thousands of games we've seen, managed, coached, or umpired, we can probably count on one hand (while it's not attached to a mop handle) the times we would have NOT awarded first base to a batter who was hit by a pitch that was not in the strike zone.

wonder where THAT came from??;)

May 27, 2008
Pace, FL
If I have a batter trying to get HBP by sticking their arm, hip, or knee into the path of the pitch, I have no problem keeping them at bat and ruling a "DEAD BALL -- BALL." I've done it all levels from 12U to NCAA. I have yet to have the chance to call "DEAD BALL -- STRIKE," but I have seen it done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan