Batter with toe touching the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In DD's last game, she hit a lot of batters. Right afterward, she told me the whole team was crowding the plate, many with their toes on the black. Clearly they were coached to do this.

I thought this wasn't allowed but the only thing I could find is having a foot completely out of the batters box is not allowed.

If touching the plate with your foot is not allowed, could someone direct me to the rule?

thank you.

Oct 19, 2009
We have a middle school coach who teaches her hitters to stand with their toes on the black of the plate and the players carry it over to travel ball and high school ball and my daughter pitches against them often. I put a blow up punching bag next to the plate, and let her throw to it to get used to kids standing close to the plate like that. I get them at Wal-Mart they have sand in the bottom and return to a standing position when hit, the ones I found have picture of superheroes Superman, Wonder Woman and Spiderman, they are about 5 ft tall.

Some of these kids wear pads on the elbows and arms and they lean into pitches that are strikes and some umps will call it a strike although most do not. If the ball is over the plate and it hits a batter it should be a strike, or if a batter does make an attempt to get out of the way then it should be a ball, if it is not in the strike zone. She has hit a few of them even hit one in the ribs and she had to be taken to the hospital, she turned out to be fine thank goodness. I’ve never seen an ump call any one for standing that close to the plate, that is a dangerous for a kid facing a pitcher that throws 50-60 MPH IMO.

I believe the rule says that the batters box starts a 6 inches.

batters_boxes2.jpg

Jun 22, 2008
A batter may have their feet on the lines of the batters box, but no part of the foot may extend beyond the line prior to the pitch. The umpire should inform the batter to get into the box before they allow the pitch.

The diagram you have posted is actually for baseball batters boxes, but, in softball the distance is still 6" from the plate to the batters box line. Taking into consideration the width of chalk lines and variations in laying them down, the batters toes should not be closer than 4-6" from the edge of the plate.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thank you - this all looks good and I love the idea of the inflatable punching bag in the batter's box! Something else to make practice fun. After reading the responses, I thought to call the LL regional HQ and ask them. They didn't give me chapter and verse but they concurred that a player who's foot is touching the plate when the ball is delivered is out as is a player who's foot is not within the box prior to the pitch.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Wow. I've always heard that the answers you get from Little League Headquarters can vary wildly...depending on which janitor happens to answer the phone that day.

LL rules do not support either of the "rulings" you were given.

I have recently heard that LL now has a Facebook page. Maybe you could post your question there and get an answer from actual experienced umpires.

My ruling...If a batter sets up prior to the pitch and a foot is outside the batter's box...Umpire should not allow a pitch to be thrown. Suspend play and instruct the batter to properly position themselves within the box. Resume play once the batter is properly positioned.

There is no rule for calling a batter out because his foot is outside the box, or touching the plate, prior to the pitch...or, after the pitch for that matter, if the pitch is not hit.

Sep 3, 2009
Just so I'm clear... is "outside of the box" considered outside of the chalk line, or on the chalk line? My dd always seems to setup with toes ON the chalk line. Mostly ASA/USSSA, if that matters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan