Bat size weight question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2012
I watched that video and thought, hmm, there's the one big hit that will serve as jusitifcation for that kid using monstrous bats forever now. My take on it, that bat was way far oversized for that kid. One of the other posters hit the nail on the head in terms of using a bat thats the heaviest she can swing without compromising mechanics - at issue, if you ask me, is the ability to detect bad mechanics.

My 9 year old DD who is a second year U10 here (she'd be a first year U10 where most of you play), according to the man in the white coat, is above average for height and weight (she's a lean 95lbs) and one of the larger kids on her team, swings a 29 drop 11.5; her hitting coach and I have spent some time with her a couple times over the last four months experimenting with a 20 (edit: 30 not 20) drop 12; for now, that bat is back in the garage - the extra length swings her & she cannot get it around fast enough to make consistent contact with pitches in the 40-45 mph range. She's got enough distance to clear the fences at the one tournament we play at where we have them, so, there's no big rush to upsize.

For sure every kid's different, but we're bought in to the light and quick philosophy here.

As for huge kids - her U10 soccer game (kids all born in 2003) - the team we played had 7 kids that were all 5-4'-5-6' (right about the same height as my wife) - ive never seen anything like it (nor do i beleive for one second that these kids are all in Grade 4)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I know a lot of kids get their height early and then quit growing. My jaw just drops everytime I see a 9 or 10 yr old that's as big as my 16 year old. Some of the biggest kids on her team, when they were 8 are now smaller than she is. Go figure.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ouch. My skilled BIG second years 10U-A players swing 31/21 at most and some of them have considerable height and weight over the OP's player. My DD swings a 30/18 most of the time.

I also spent WAY too much time over the past 4 years teaching coach pitch players how to swing a bat against live pitchers and yelling at coach pitchers to throw hard and flat so the transition to hitting live pitching is not going to be so painful. I am SO sick of saying 'At 10U the pitcher doesn't want you to hit the ball'

If I was you I would buy her a 30/20 bat and start throwing about 40mph at her and get her batting instruction to get rid of the longer, drop down swing. Get a good swing behind a big stronger player and she'll hit a mile. She'll hit the slower pitchers in 10U with her current swing but the moment she sees a girl who can either throw it hard or knows how to locate her pitchers she is going to have real issues.

Apr 1, 2010
Ouch. My skilled BIG second years 10U-A players swing 31/21 at most and some of them have considerable height and weight over the OP's player. My DD swings a 30/18 most of the time.

I also spent WAY too much time over the past 4 years teaching coach pitch players how to swing a bat against live pitchers and yelling at coach pitchers to throw hard and flat so the transition to hitting live pitching is not going to be so painful. I am SO sick of saying 'At 10U the pitcher doesn't want you to hit the ball'

If I was you I would buy her a 30/20 bat and start throwing about 40mph at her and get her batting instruction to get rid of the longer, drop down swing. Get a good swing behind a big stronger player and she'll hit a mile. She'll hit the slower pitchers in 10U with her current swing but the moment she sees a girl who can either throw it hard or knows how to locate her pitchers she is going to have real issues.

Yes!!! This is great advice IMO. That coach's pitching isn't doing the girls any favors at all; I hate seeing those rainbows.

Dec 26, 2010
Well I end up getting the CF5 insane 2012 32/22 and we played our first tourney this weekend (three games) and hit the ball well(again with coach pitch) and put one ball in the air about 15 feet away from 180 ft fence. I am happy so far with the choice of bat and we play an 10u girl pitch team in a couple of weeks and hopefully we will have success then.

Apr 22, 2012
Why ask for advise on here and then totally ignore all that have gone thru the transition from 8U to 10U before you. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck this year. She will struggle with that bat against a quality pitcher at 10U next year. Not only did you stay with a 22 oz bat but the insane is end loaded also.

Apr 1, 2010
Wow, that bat might be about right for my DD--around 5'4" and 140! For a girl moving from 8U to 10U, it's well...aptly named. Please consider getting her a hitting instructor. JMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl