Bat recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2021
Hello looking for some advice - my daughter plays 10u rec and just made a travel team that is just starting out. She is large for her age - 64 inches tall and 160lbs. She recently got a new glove and we were looking for a good bat that will last her . She is currently using a cheaper 31/18 rawlings . Its so hard to find brick and morter places to try bats out. We are in Maryland if anyone has any advice. Thanks for any advice and help.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hello looking for some advice - my daughter plays 10u rec and just made a travel team that is just starting out. She is large for her age - 64 inches tall and 160lbs. She recently got a new glove and we were looking for a good bat that will last her . She is currently using a cheaper 31/18 rawlings . Its so hard to find brick and morter places to try bats out. We are in Maryland if anyone has any advice. Thanks for any advice and help.
Honestly at her age, I'd look for something used. And I'd get her into a balanced -10 bat now, move away from that -13 stuff!

Measure the width of her shoulders outer edge to outer edge, when you get that number, double it for the length of the bat. Example.....if her shoulders measure 16", get her a 32" bat. And a drop 10 bat would be a 32/22.

And as far as a bat lasting her..... 😆 😆😆, if she's going to be playing any competitive TB, plan on buying a new bat every year!

May 23, 2015
Solid advice from Mr AnnasDad.

Point of order though: he seemingly glossed over the fact she got a new glove without asking for glove details. Im slightly alarmed and maybe even disappointed.

Seriously though...congrats on your dd making the TB team. Lots of amazing memories to be made going forward. Enjoy!!

Apr 6, 2017
I would talk to her coach also. Sometimes teams do a team buy or
a demo day.
Some dicks stores have cages to try new bats. Have to call around
your area.

Mar 20, 2019
First off, where are you at in MD, SOMD here?

Welcome to the club, lots of good advice, when our DD started @10U she was similar sized to yours. We found some good deals at play it again sports, she started with a 32/22 Demarini CF. It was a good starter bat for her. Think we got it for about $125. Check around with teammates also especially if they have older sisters that play. You may be able to get a good bat that way also.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Point of order though: he seemingly glossed over the fact she got a new glove without asking for glove details. Im slightly alarmed and maybe even disappointed.
"Glazed" over is the word you were looking for.....man I was actually involved in some bat conversation here, must have lost my mind for a minute, just wanting to be like you cool kids! ;)

Aug 1, 2021
Honestly at her age, I'd look for something used. And I'd get her into a balanced -10 bat now, move away from that -13 stuff!

Measure the width of her shoulders outer edge to outer edge, when you get that number, double it for the length of the bat. Example.....if her shoulders measure 16", get her a 32" bat. And a drop 10 bat would be a 32/22.

And as far as a bat lasting her..... 😆 😆😆, if she's going to be playing any competitive TB, plan on buying a new bat every year!
Thank you so much everyone… looks like we’re looking for a 32 /22.. shoulders were 16-17.
I searched these forums on gloves and wow it was very helpful. Didn’t have time to do a Bradley but definitely thought about it .
She had a 11.5 that was way small from rec ball and we got a 12”Rawlings GG elite from dicks … so far it’s been good but despite Breaking it in it’s still a little tough ..she likes it so far though and feels it’s gonna be great for her And she’s a pretty strong kid.
- we’re in Anne arundel county
- thanks for all your help my son has played travel ball and we just got back from Ripken Mb and had a great time so she wants the same opportunity now…
my sons 13u team folded so he plans to do rec or try lacrosse ..so it’s her turn now.
thanks for all the great help .

Jun 8, 2016
Thank you so much everyone… looks like we’re looking for a 32 /22.. shoulders were 16-17.
I searched these forums on gloves and wow it was very helpful. Didn’t have time to do a Bradley but definitely thought about it .
She had a 11.5 that was way small from rec ball and we got a 12”Rawlings GG elite from dicks … so far it’s been good but despite Breaking it in it’s still a little tough ..she likes it so far though and feels it’s gonna be great for her And she’s a pretty strong kid.
- we’re in Anne arundel county
- thanks for all your help my son has played travel ball and we just got back from Ripken Mb and had a great time so she wants the same opportunity now…
my sons 13u team folded so he plans to do rec or try lacrosse ..so it’s her turn now.
thanks for all the great help .
I mean I know there is that rule of thumb but 32 drop 10 might be a bit big for somebody coming from 10u rec and swinging an 18 oz bat regardless of her size. Just make sure she swings it first before buying.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06