Bat "forgivingness"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I was cruising a slow pitch site looking for more info on Anderson flexlink bats.

I noticed that one of the terms thrown around alot by the slow pitch guys was "forgiveness" of bats. I am going to guess that means a bats ability to forgive a slight mis-hit with a good result.

Anybody have opinions about the forgiveness of certain models of fast pitch bats?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Maybe it's just my kid, but with her RT it's either a ICBM or a weak miss hit. Xeno has some better forgiveness, but the new Freak NXT is tops. A hypothetical 10 ball front toss session rating distance 1-10.
RT: 2 balls=10; 8 balls=5
Xeno: 2 balls 9; 6 balls=7; 2 balls=3
Freak: 10 balls 8-9.
FP11ST: 10 balls 7.
All just from my observations, (not really scientific)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO - forgiving = a larger effective hitting area/sweet spot. Composites generally are more forgiving than the metals. Forgiveness is much more important for FP than SP.

Anderson's Nanotek (true -10 and -12) is more balanced and forgiving but slightly less pop than the heavier, endloaded Rocketech (-9 swing weight). On RHC's scale: I'd put the Nano at 10 balls=7-9

The new Flextech (composite flexlink handle + double-walled RT barrel) may provide RT pop w/ more forgiveness - can't wait to hear feedback.

FWIW, also looking for more feedback re the new Mizuno Whiteout - seems its a major improvement over the Frenzy. DD demo'd one this summer and felt the 34"/26 oz swung similar to her 33"/24 oz RT and the ball consistently came off the bat well into a net.

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks for the comments., that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I hope the local stores here will demo some of the new andersons. This area used to be rt country but they are slipping.

I would really like to get my hands on a freak nxt for older dd to try, I keep hearing good things.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks for the comments., that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I hope the local stores here will demo some of the new andersons. This area used to be rt country but they are slipping.

I would really like to get my hands on a freak nxt for older dd to try, I keep hearing good things.

I have heard from lots of people, including Worth reps, that the Freak and 454 are the same bat.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
IMO - forgiving = a larger effective hitting area/sweet spot. Composites generally are more forgiving than the metals. Forgiveness is much more important for FP than SP.

Anderson's Nanotek (true -10 and -12) is more balanced and forgiving but slightly less pop than the heavier, endloaded Rocketech (-9 swing weight). On RHC's scale: I'd put the Nano at 10 balls=7-9

The new Flextech (composite flexlink handle + double-walled RT barrel) may provide RT pop w/ more forgiveness - can't wait to hear feedback.

FWIW, also looking for more feedback re the new Mizuno Whiteout - seems its a major improvement over the Frenzy. DD demo'd one this summer and felt the 34"/26 oz swung similar to her 33"/24 oz RT and the ball consistently came off the bat well into a net.

Someone has a 34/25 with 50 hits on it for sale on softballfans $130 shipped

Apr 1, 2010
And I've heard good things about the 454, including at least one model that has 1 strike on it on the NCAA approved bat list.

DD likes her new 454. She likes the orange color, likes the way it swings, likes the sweet spot, likes the pop. She went 5 for 8 in the first weekend she used it (mix of line drives and ground balls--I didn't see any noticeable miss-hits with the 454) so it seems like it's working pretty well for her--tsk, could have been 6 for 8, but she lifted one a little too much and the right fielder made a nice running catch in right center. But that's not the bat's fault, LOL!

And their SS just hit the snot out of a few using the gray and blue two-piece 454--had a triple with the bases loaded in one game and in another hit one that got lost at the wall and she managed to come around and slide in at home beating the tag.

Their drop 12s are very hot too. The whole team really likes these 454 bats.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Msdinosaur and crystlemc- Thanks for the info, I'm curious what bat your dd was using before.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1