Basketball -- 10 year old being recuited

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
He doesn't even need a scholarship. He doesn't even need an income. He could manage his dad's money and all family members are set for life.

Remember Michael Jordan's sons? Probably not.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
You have a point,

However, sometimes the sons of NBA players have done quite well. For example, Pete Maravich and Kobe Bryant were both sons of NBA players.

There have even been three father-son combos who have both won the NBA championship: Matt Goukas and Matt Jr.; Rick and Brent Barry; and Bill and Luke Walton.

List of second-generation National Basketball Association players - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also remember, many years ago, watching a French tennis player, Yannick Noah. I think his son is a pretty good athlete.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I still don't have an issue with this. If Lebron James wasn't trying to get his son into the NBA which requires a 1 year stint in the NCAA he wouldn't have him playing at the 4th Grade AAU National Championships he would be playing rec ball right? It's no different than us playing 10U A ball at a big named tournament, the real difference is basketball is insanely more popular than softball and Lebron James' son is an easy risk. If he's half as good as his dad he's still a lottery pick in the NBA.

I wish more college coaches attended TB tournaments instead of the big showcases as it would allow more girls to be seen over a longer period of time. But we limit these coaches to 50 days which only hurts the "Student Athlete". By the way there's no such thing as a "Student Athlete" in major D1 Athletics it's just Athlete or rather $$$$ at this point. Ask North Carolina and their basket weaving class.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The main difference between superstar parents and their kids is the parent was most likely trying to get by financially at first. Working hard every day to get to the top and be the best, so that they could become millionaires. Their kids were born on top and won't have that same motivation to "make it". His or her talents that were GOD given through their parents DNA isn't always enough... I personally don't agree with this schools intrest in LeBrons kid. It seems to be more of a publicity stunt.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What is LeBron doing to help the situation? "He plays just like I did'' doesn't exactly take the pressure off the kid. And how does he get in Calipari's office? Makes me wonder if LeBron is letting him be the prince, and then getting upset when others do the same.

The article doesn't tell you much, so I'm also curious: Who has made an offer? How did he get the offer? Through LeBron? Or did the coach tell the kid? What coaches are around his kid? What are they communicating to the kid? And what is LeBron doing about it beyond commenting to the press, which brings even more attention to his kid.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
What is LeBron doing to help the situation? "He plays just like I did'' doesn't exactly take the pressure off the kid. And how does he get in Calipari's office? Makes me wonder if LeBron is letting him be the prince, and then getting upset when others do the same.

The article doesn't tell you much, so I'm also curious: Who has made an offer? How did he get the offer? Through LeBron? Or did the coach tell the kid? What coaches are around his kid? What are they communicating to the kid? And what is LeBron doing about it beyond commenting to the press, which brings even more attention to his kid.

I hadn't thought of it that way. By complaining about the attention given to Jr., the King is putting Jr. in the papers, giving him MORE attention. Ironic, or deliberate?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Wouldn't LeBron just need to go on ESPN and say "You contact my kid, in anyway, you are off the list?" What are the chances of a coach still being in his current job in 8 years?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Maybe LeBron is just mad that no one thinks his kid can go straight to the pros, and instead "needs college". :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom