Ball position at 3 o clock.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
We are making some changes to my 10 year olds form. She went through a really rough patch and we are taking a close look at her form from start to finish. So I ask you this: I see some pitchers are ball up at 3o clock or close, some are ball facing 3rd base at 3 o clock. What do you suggest for a starting point? What are advantages to each?

Jun 26, 2019
Right hand pitcher from first base.
I guess it would make more sense to veiw a rhp from 3rd but thta is how i have usually heard it referred to is a 3 o clock, or a T position.
3:00? are you referencing a lhp while standing at 1b?

Apr 12, 2015
We are making some changes to my 10 year olds form. She went through a really rough patch and we are taking a close look at her form from start to finish. So I ask you this: I see some pitchers are ball up at 3o clock or close, some are ball facing 3rd base at 3 o clock. What do you suggest for a starting point? What are advantages to each?
Just for reference, the terms here describe coming out of the glove or backswing as 3:00, coming over the top at 12:00, pulling down into release at 9:00, release happening around 6:00 for a right-hand pitcher.

The answer is a little more complicated than it appears, but at its most basic, any degree of the ball pointing up more than towards third is preferable. Ideally, in a perfect world, the ball would be facing the sky with the palm underneath at the 9:00 position.

Confusion creeps in when looking at stills. Some pitchers will have the ball pointed toward third at the 9:00 position, but will continue to "load" coming into release, ultimately ending up with the ball up position at 7:00 or thereabouts. Still photos are a great tool, but often a series of still photos is needed to get the complete picture of what it happening. There are a number of elite pitchers that will show the ball pointed toward third at 9:00 (Fouts comes to mind). But viewing slow motion video or a series of still photos shows these pitchers load the whip sometime between 9:00 and release. Best practice when it comes to teaching a young kid is ball to the sky at 9:00, backchaining to "show it, throw it" with the ball pointed at the catcher at 12:00, and finally leading with the knuckles coming out of the glove or backswing at 3:00.

The reason you want the ball pointed up at 9:00 rather than pointed toward third at 9:00 is to create the lag that results in the most efficient whip. The elbow leading the ball in essence. The more the ball strays over toward third, or worse, the hand getting behind the ball, the less efficient and powerful the whip becomes.

Jun 26, 2019
Ok, I saw some facing 3rd, and some up, so I was debating on starting ball up or starting in the middle of the two like ball pointed up, but not straight up.
sounds like she is probably best shooting for ball up, unless someone has information otherwise

May 20, 2016
I always used simple terminology. 3:00 knuckle face the catcher, 12:00 ball faces the catcher, 9:00 ball faces the sky, 6:00 ball faces the dugout.

Nov 18, 2015
If the ball is up at 9, the forearm has to IR quicker at release to get 12-6 spin (to get behind the ball). The quicker the IR, the quicker the speed of the pitch should be.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck