Ball Carried out of bounds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2012
In a game I was involved in there was a runner on 1st and the batter hit a ball into right field that landed in fair territory and then bounded into foul territory. At that point the fielder fielded the ball and ran out of bounds. The runner on 1st was 10 feet from 3rd base and the runner who hit the ball was just touching the 1st base bag. The umpire awarded the batter 2nd and the runner on 1st home saying he would have scored easily has the ball not been carried out of bounds. It is my understanding that a play like this is an automatic 2 bases for the runners. Can the umpire use his judgement to award a the runner home or does he have to adhere to the 2 base rule?

Thanks
Ken

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If the runner was 10 feet from third he did award 2 bases. We had a runner one step away from 1st when the ball was sailed over the fence. BR was awarded 2nd. I complained they should of been awarded 2 bases and was explained the BR was given 2 bases, 1st and 2nd.

Jun 22, 2008
The award depends on if the defense intentionally carried the ball into dead ball territory. If it was not intentional, the award is 1 base, if intentional it is 2 bases.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the runner was 10 feet from third he did award 2 bases. We had a runner one step away from 1st when the ball was sailed over the fence. BR was awarded 2nd. I complained they should of been awarded 2 bases and was explained the BR was given 2 bases, 1st and 2nd.

I hope not. It is one base from the last base at the time the ball entered DBT.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Pony Rule 9 Sec 5, g states it is two bases from the time the ball was last touched on a thrown ball.

Rule 9 Sec 5, j A ball carried unintentionally into OofB, the runner is awared 1 base from the last base touched at the time the ball enters the dead ball territory.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Where does 9-5-g state last touched?

Sorry,I couldn't cut and paste so I paraphrased. The actual wording is. All runners will be awarded two bases and the award will be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left any fielder's hand.

So a kid 3 steps from first when the ball is released by the SS that then sails into DBT, the BR would be awarded 2nd. The same would apply if the first baseman had the ball skip off the top of the glove and the BR had not touched the bag yet.

I took a liberty using touched. My bad.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry,I couldn't cut and paste so I paraphrased. The actual wording is. All runners will be awarded two bases and the award will be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left any fielder's hand.

So a kid 3 steps from first when the ball is released by the SS that then sails into DBT, the BR would be awarded 2nd. The same would apply if the first baseman had the ball skip off the top of the glove and the BR had not touched the bag yet.

I took a liberty using touched. My bad.

You are citing a rule that does NOT apply to the OP. Try looking at 9.5.j which clearly states the runners get run one base from the time the fielder entered DBT.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I hope not. It is one base from the last base at the time the ball entered DBT.

I originally thought your message was to me but then I forgot who I was replying to and committed the big E. Go ahead and set me straight.:rolleyes:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I originally thought your message was to me but then I forgot who I was replying to and committed the big E. Go ahead and set me straight.:rolleyes:

What is there to set straight. You mixed the apples and oranges and wanted to use a rule and penalty that did not apply to the OP scenario. An overthrow/blocked ball is not the same as a catch&carry. Two complete separate rules and resolutions. Looks like the umpire got it wrong, also, in the OP unless it was judged the fielder intentionally took the ball to DBT to stop the runners from advancing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves