Bad Decision Need help Maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
FYI: At 14, the outfield won't be a resting spot.
100% correct. Even in 10u, right-fielders have a chance to throw out batters on ground balls that slip past 1B. There is no need to just concede 1st any time a ball is hit and of course, on any infield throw to 1st, RF is backing up the throw. On steal attempts, CF and LF are responsible for backing up possible errant throws. I get that those positions aren't as glamorous, but if an outfielder misses an assignment, it can be far more detrimental to the team than a single infield error.

As coach, it's your job to make sure that each player knows how important her position is to the team's success.

Feb 9, 2011
IMHO, this is not the way it should be done. There is no need to start the 9 best every game in pool play.

If we only had pool play here, most tournaments are 3gg with drop down bracket or double elimination very few are pool play. And the pool play tournaments games effect seeding and the time splits between games so there are no free games to let whoever start where they want.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, let's clarify this a little bit...you have several players who were playing a lot at the tournaments. You went out and got some other kids who were better than the kids on your team. The players who had their innings cut are now complaining, right?

So, let's go over the basics:

You *MUST* keep all the kids relatively happy or you will lose players. If you don't have at least 12 players, your entire team might fold if you have a couple of injuries. (One of my teams went through 3 catchers one season due to injuries.)

Parents are not going to pay a bunch of money and travel all over world just to watch their kids sit the bench or play right field. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. They will leave--which can put you in a terrible position come mid-June if that whiz-bang catcher breaks her nose playing pitch and catch or your pitcher fractures her ankle at volleyball practice.

And the pool play tournaments games effect seeding and the time splits between games so there are no free games to let whoever start where they want.

Please...give me a break. If you signed up for 3-game guarantee tournaments, you made a mistake. And, so what if you end up playing a high seed? You have to beat them at some point--it might as well be the first game.

Feb 9, 2011
Please...give me a break. If you signed up for 3-game guarantee tournaments, you made a mistake. And, so what if you end up playing a high seed? You have to beat them at some point--it might as well be the first game.

You are certainly correct that we have to play them at some point and the parents like alot of "W" to brag about on face book. I miss the good old days of 6u and 8u may go back there next year and let someone else handle the older girl drama.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mar 13, 2010
6U and 8U travel ball? Wow...

The parents need to suck it up. They wanted newer players. They got them. Sucks that their girls aren't as good, but life isn't always fair.

May 8, 2008
Florida
YOU are the coach, so when the parents are parents and want to dictate to you, explain your role neatly and sweetly. If they continue then explain more explicitly , MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY. Once you allow them to mandate thier wishes, it is all over and you are finished as a head man IN CHARGE.

Feb 3, 2011
I know some of us are better communicators than others, but in the future, make clear your policies and protocols in advance so that the people coming into your group know where you stand on certain things. You won't be able to outline everything under the sun, but if you have let them know from the start what type of coach and leader you are, then they'll have a good idea what to expect as time moves forward and new situations arise.

For example, my parents know that I will not stop practice if a player complains of a tummy ache, whether real or made up (I have 1 girl who doesn't really like fielding drills). She'll be excused to go sit on the bench until she feels ready to rejoin the team. But if a player takes a ball to the head or collides with another player, I'll monitor her closely until she's ready to come back.

I know the stakes are different in rec vs TB because of the time and financial commitments, but there's no difference in the degree of passion from the parents and I think the best way to manage them is to keep them informed. Yes, playing well and winning cures many things, but clear communication in the first place helps to prevent a lot of drama from creeping into your environment.

Regardless of that, all your players should be getting enough innings if you're playing a fair number of games.

Sep 3, 2009
I think our team has a pretty similar scenario going on; but with a slight twist. A couple of better players, sometimes lacks motivation, and other times have an attitude. It's been quietly tolerated so far.. Couple girls riding the pine, definitely not as good of players. But they have excellent attitude, hustle everywhere every time, do what is asked, and smile and love being a part of the team, and give 120% of themselves 100% of the time. Who do you play, in pool games, bracket games, etc?

Someone commented about the outfield.. at 12u that's just not an option. If your OF aren't playmakers, and not fast, you're going to get smoked. Too much action going on in the grass to put lesser players out there at 12u and up.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2010
Issue is we bring in great talent as requested and a pitcher with her catcher, first, second, and original catcher all get beat out for their spot and moved to outfield as backups.

Something about this sounds odd. They get replaced as infielders in the starting lineup, and become backup outfielders? That totally misses me. Wouldn't they be backup infielders?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff