Babe Ruth thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Hi everyone - as most of you know, I'm the commissioner for a large-ish rec league. We're independent currently, and I can't see any reason to change that, but our parent org just brought on a new baseball commish who is interested in aligning with Babe Ruth. He has reached out to me to gauge my interest.

I know nothing about Babe Ruth as an organization, literally. I need input here - pros and cons, and please don't hold back (as if you ever would)!

Nov 29, 2009
Babe Ruth is basically another alphabet. However, there focus is more towards rec and community leagues. They do have a national championship post season tournament trail that leads to a national tournament. It is nowhere near the size of ASA, U-Trip or any of the other big sanctioning bodies. I believe it would be more closely aligned to LL in the structure. They have playing time and pitching rules. I was involved with them 20 years ago. Not sure exactly what they are doing now. If your league is doing fine without them there really in no need. If you contact them they will send you any information you'll need.

Sep 29, 2014
Most of the time deciding whether or not to affiliate with larger organization is completely dependent on your location. Some areas have great organizations/representations in the state then the same organization one state over is terrible.

The first thing I would do is some internet intel on the Babe Ruth district/region you are in. Then go around and talk to the Babe Ruth softball commissioner for your district and other leagues commissioners in the organization about what to expect then go from there.

I would never blindly go follow whatever the baseball side of the house does, sometimes baseball and softball interests are not in alignment. to what Sparky said the are definitely a rec type organization more closely akin to LL but again location matters.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
If you want to affiliate a rec girls softball league with any sanctioning body, it should be ASA. It is the only org that puts girls first.

I would not go that far..I'll reiterate it depends where you are. Not to mention ASA tends to be a higher level of play granted they have different levels but LL, Babe Ruth and PONY (although they have a Platinum level) are more recreation focused, while ASA and USSSA cater to travel.

ASA runs excellent rec leagues for girls and they have for decades. The best thing about those leagues is that all of the money you pay goes to the girls.

Those other orgs all siphon off a sizeable percentage of what the girls pay and give it to the boys.

Sep 29, 2014
ASA runs excellent rec leagues for girls and they have for decades. The best thing about those leagues is that all of the money you pay goes to the girls.

Those other orgs all siphon off a sizeable percentage of what the girls pay and give it to the boys.

If you say so... I was part of PONY organization several years ago and this was true for years before I got there but just before I got there the two sides had mended fences and had an awesome relationship basically splitting things very fairly and all working together for the benefit of all the kids. Again maybe this is true by the time you get to the national organizations but for my last time on this topic it's just like the housing market it is all about location, location, location.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you want to affiliate a rec girls softball league with any sanctioning body, it should be ASA. It is the only org that puts girls first.

While this may (or may not) be the case at headquarters level, the one thing apparent from DFP input over the years is that the quality, focus, and level of play associated with ANY of these national organizations often varies significantly by country, region, state, town or zipcode.

Last edited:
May 15, 2014
If you align with BR, be prepared to have borders placed that may exclude a lot of families that currently play at your park. These borders may be different for baseball and softball, which may split families. You could always keep gfp independent, but it wouldn't hurt to invite directors from utrip, ASA, NSA, BR etc to present to your board. I've always known the state directors to be very willing to do that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13