Austin Wasserman Clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ichiro_tipsthewaterbottle.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Need to send this video to the ex college player and current college coach who are instructing the "optional" fielding camp DD's TB organization is having. Player was a catcher/1st baseman and
last week was instructing everybody to throw like a catcher, e.g.get arm up over head and then short arm action, whether they were outfielders,infielders or catchers ...15 dollars a session
for something I can do better at home for free.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is more to it than just tipping the water bottle tipping hand path. Getting into the scap (elbow drawing back to pinch the scap toward the spine) is an element that my DD was missing, and it lead to ulnar nerve issues that resulted in her unable to throw for 10 weeks as she rehabbed and adjusted her mechanics.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There is more to it than just tipping the water bottle tipping hand path. Getting into the scap (elbow drawing back to pinch the scap toward the spine) is an element that my DD was missing, and it lead to ulnar nerve issues that resulted in her unable to throw for 10 weeks as she rehabbed and adjusted her mechanics.

EricF ... what exactly led to the ulnar nerve issues? Was it "getting into the scap", or missing that element, that led to the ulnar issues?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
EricF ... what exactly led to the ulnar nerve issues? Was it "getting into the scap", or missing that element, that led to the ulnar issues?

The missing element was not maintaining the tension in the scap long enough during the "bottle tip" part of the throwing sequence. As a result, the way the muscles in the front of her shoulder were being used lead to a condition that irritated the ulnar nerve.

EDIT: This is a great example of doing it right...
Throw_Ichiro_home_tippingthewaterbottle.gif

We can see the scap tension ("pinch") being maintained as the bottle is being tipped, and the torso is turning forward. My DD was bringing her elbow forward and releasing the scap tension a little bit too soon.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The missing element was not maintaining the tension in the scap long enough during the "bottle tip" part of the throwing sequence. As a result, the way the muscles in the front of her shoulder were being used lead to a condition that irritated the ulnar nerve.

EDIT: This is a great example of doing it right...
Throw_Ichiro_home_tippingthewaterbottle.gif

We can see the scap tension ("pinch") being maintained as the bottle is being tipped, and the torso is turning forward. My DD was bringing her elbow forward and releasing the scap tension a little bit too soon.

Try to pinch a quarter between your shoulder blades is an effective cue for some.

Aug 11, 2016
I took my DD to a 2 hour 1:1 with Austin at his location in NH, relatively short drive for us, and the investment was well worth it. My DD not only received personalized evaluation and instruction from Austin, but books, videos (slow motion), written instructions, etc... Although he doesn't do a lot of 1:1's, anything you can get with him is worth it. To me, and what worries me the most, is my DD not having the appropriate mechanics and potentially injuring herself.

Austin taught her stretch exercises (warm up and cool down), as well as reinforced mechanics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12