ASA 10u Nationals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We will make our first trip to ASA Nationals this year. I would love to hear what to expect from the experience. I would also like to hear from anyone else that will be there.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Going to ASA Nationals and playing against good teams from other states is a great experience. That said I have two "beefs" with ASA Nationals - 1) They are usually held in the middle of nowhere. I think they do this to try to attract teams from the East and West Coasts. 2) We only played one game a day until Friday. The cost per game is astronomical when you consider that we had 12 families staying in overpriced hotel rooms ($139/night for a LaQuinta), who had driven 800 miles, to play one game a day.

To be perfectly honest with you, at 10U I would recommend you go to the USFA World Series in Panama City Beach, rent a condo on the beach and turn it into a fun family vacation. Siblings, parents, grandparents, friends all love to go to the beach......Normal, IL (last years 14U location).....not so much!

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for the advice JAD. I totally agree on ASA being in some less than ideal vacation spots. This year we are playing in both the world series in PCB and nationals. It was a team vote and all parents were OK with it. We are hoping it will be a good tune up for Johnson City.

Mar 26, 2013
Going to ASA Nationals and playing against good teams from other states is a great experience. That said I have two "beefs" with ASA Nationals - 1) They are usually held in the middle of nowhere. I think they do this to try to attract teams from the East and West Coasts.
LMAO Funny guy - did you type that with a straight face? Yes, flat farm fields are a major attraction for West Coast teams. :rolleyes:

Hosting ASA/USA nationals is a business and there is a core group of cities that do it on a regular basis. They are mainly out-of-the-way sites that rely on the economic boost they get from holding them. Their remote location gives them a captive market with very few outside alternatives and/or competition. That said, the benefit of having these sites hosting over and over agaiin is they're experienced and usually do a good job because they want to keep getting the gig.

2) We only played one game a day until Friday. The cost per game is astronomical when you consider that we had 12 families staying in overpriced hotel rooms ($139/night for a LaQuinta), who had driven 800 miles, to play one game a day.
The 10U event is much smaller (e.g. 45 teams in 2013) than the older groups. Most 10U sites reduce the number of days, but Johnson City has the games scheduled over 7 days like the much larger events with 80-160 teams ($). smh

As for the experience,
- Opening ceremonies vary by site, so it would be best to hear from someone that's been to one at Johnson City.
- Pin trading is fun for the girls while they're there, but it can be expensive and many quickly lose interest in the pins afterward.
- Gift exchange at first pool game varies depending on how much effort the other team puts into their gift. The best gifts reflect what the girls on the team like and where they're from.
- High-level competition can be an eye-opener and reality check for everyone. It can either be disheartening or motivate you to raise your game. The girls can learn a lot by seeing what is possible.
- We got a lot out of making friends with teams from other areas staying at the hotel, so I encourage you to do likewise instead of just hanging around people you know. Many girls stayed in contact afterward via social media.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44