Approach to answering recruiting questionnaire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 24, 2014
My DD is beginning to fill out the online recruiting questionnaire on college softball program websites. Many are asking for team highlights, career stats, travel stats and high school stats.

1. How far back do they want for career information?
2. How do you narrow down and filter this information?
3. Do you put personal best stats, best times running home to first, home to home, etc.
4. For high school, how do you address playing time, positions, playing time by grade level? I have girls on my team who are facing these issues? Example, one player is starting in right field as freshman while Junior is playing 2B, with no experience. Another is solid travel ball pitcher that is following another pitcher who is a grade ahead of her, and this pitcher does not play travel ball rather pitches from February till end of high school ball.....none of my players are complaining but don't know how to address these issues when emailing college coaches.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My DD is beginning to fill out the online recruiting questionnaire on college softball program websites. Many are asking for team highlights, career stats, travel stats and high school stats.

1. How far back do they want for career information?
2. How do you narrow down and filter this information?
3. Do you put personal best stats, best times running home to first, home to home, etc.
4. For high school, how do you address playing time, positions, playing time by grade level? I have girls on my team who are facing these issues? Example, one player is starting in right field as freshman while Junior is playing 2B, with no experience. Another is solid travel ball pitcher that is following another pitcher who is a grade ahead of her, and this pitcher does not play travel ball rather pitches from February till end of high school ball.....none of my players are complaining but don't know how to address these issues when emailing college coaches.

I haven't seen that many asking for this much specific info, but those that DD has filled out, she's not entered anything when it comes to stats. I can't believe a coach is really going to care about that because without context, they have no meaning. So to put down stats would make DD seem naive to think that they really matter. But that's just my advice to her. Others might have a different take on that.

Mar 24, 2014
Some of the online forms ask about career stats and got me puzzled. We have stats from both TB and HS ball, but never planned to provide it just was tracking stats for her own record.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
We started from HS age so 14U. I agree they probably do not care much for stats. If they see a batting average of .600 they will probably not look much more as they can tell it is "Daddy Stats". What they do look for are numbers they can confirm. If you have verified times or MPH from camps, a lot of coaches email these out after players attend camps. Have them save these times to PDF Files, or if you can attach video, they can time them on their own. The biggest thing with the questionnaire they are looking for is the kids showing interest in the school academically as well as athletically. These usually go to the coaches as well as admissions. Coaches will usually not respond to these, but they will get some information from the school and get on a admissions email list. I hate to push recruiting sites, but they are better served using a site like Captain U to communicate and find out who is looking at them. The down side is the monthly fee, but these sites will give kids the a good avenue to email and get to coaches.

Apr 14, 2011
I would think what they want to see in that recruiting questionnaire is basic data, such as grad year, position, URL to video, standard measurables (home to 1b, overhand throw pop time, fastest pitch velocity if available, etc) travel team, GPA, test scores and contact information. Its also good because it adds the prospective student athlete to Front Rush (the software most colleges use to keep track of recruits and for compliance).

They do get an email every time you fill one out or update it so its a good way for them to know you are interested and see the players name a bit if you submit it every few months or every day if you want. Although depending on the school they may not ever even read it. I was sitting next to a coach who had a printout of pages and pages of names of those who had submitted info through their questionnaire with a few highlighted. I dont think she went through each players detailed questionnaire.

The best place to send info you want them to see is probably in a personalized email. Don't assume that since you submitted that info in the questionnaire that they even read it or will reach out. Also, while I don't think you should be dishonest, you don't need to rule yourself out before even being seen, especially if the kid is young and still developing by putting what might not be considered stand out measurables.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13