Advice to a young Aspiring Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2009
Working with girls from a male point of view can be tough. Sometimes girls emotions run a lot closer to the surface than boys. You'll need to measure your toughts and actions a little during the heat of batlle.

I saw 2 different coaching styles at a game with weekend on practically the same play.
Ground ball gets by 2B:
Coach 1: "Come'on ladies we have to make that play. LET'S GO."
Coach 2: "One Out, Runner on 1B try to get the lead runner."

Coach 1 just made his 2B feel worse than she already does. I hope the next batter doesn't hit one to her. The rest of his team is now tense. This is how 1 error can lead to another. His comments stated the obvious and added no value to the team but might have made the coach feel better.
Coach 2 is over that play, stuff happens. Let's look forward to the next play. If 2B did something mechanically wrong make note and work on it in practice.

I hope to be Coach 2 next time.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all the advice, especially on protecting myself. Thats probably my biggest fear that anyone would mistake my passion for this game as anything other than that.

I would love to get on a Men's Fast pitch team in my area(ontario, cali), but I haven't found anything so far. My baseball knowledge isn't terribly extensive(only played rec ball as a kid) but the ability is there, so I guess that's a good thing so i'm not ever really comparing the two.

I have been taking a real close look and how coaches conduct themselves as both my sisters are playing high school ball, and so far I haven't seen anything impressive, in fact one of the guys I don't think should never coach another living thing with feelings, but i digress. Thankfully I did go to the Cathedral Classic a few months back and saw several great college coaches that really inspire me.

So all in all thank you all for your advice I'll be sure to practice all of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan