advice on staying connected and getting back hip moving

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
looking for suggestions on a tee drill or drill maintaining the hands shoulders and hips staying connected. have a few girls who leave their hips behind. skipping rock drill did not have the best results. they are 13yr. some have gotten better not very consistent. i was looking at the "deltoid drill" as seen in prior post. i liked tewks barrel to the ball video. any ideas are welcomed.

Aug 2, 2008
A drill some people do is the bat behind the back drill, kids cradle the bat in there arms behind there back and set up to the tee, then they get in a good athletic position and rotate as if swinging and knock the ball of the tee with the bat barrel. I never liked this version because I believe it causes over rotation. I have them hold there bat in front and pull the bat against the front of there hips (perpendicular). They set up to the tee (may have to scoot up a bit more than normal) they load, stride, and thrust there hips and the bat barrel knocks the ball off the tee. This is mainly a lower body drill but make sure they are staying connected and rotating appropriately. You are looking for normal hip and lower body action, only this drill emphasises the hips, but be careful they arent pulling there upper body off the ball. IMO its not about how far they can knock the ball off the tee its more about good hip action.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
There is a video somewhere of Boardmember standing and turning with I think a big stick. It's a simple hip coiling and moving forward drill that I think is very effective. I call it "getting on the hill" to my daughter because I have her visualize that she is going forward downhill while doing it. She uses this simple drill before many batting situations. Even on deck. Add in a little tilt and she is ready to attack any ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00