Ads for players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Almost all of the teams is in this area have already held tryouts. But it seems as though some teams are short a player or two. There is a website many local teams use to advertise for players . Here is are examples which are indicative of most of them.

The XXX 10U Team is looking for a couple more players to round out the 2021 Team. Please reach out ASAP via Text to Coach XXXX or reply to this message, private tryout dates coming soon...Thanks!

XXX are looking for 1 player to finish out our 18U Roster. Looking for an outfielder or a utility player preferably.

XXX looking for more players to round out their young U10 team! Birth year 2011. You can call XXXXX or email them at XXXX Great program with a strong foundation.

The thing that stands out to me is that these teams appear to be looking for bench players. Would your DD be OK trying out for a team under those circumstances? I realize that there is a fine line for the coaches between keeping your current roster that tried out and accepted happy and trying to find that last player or 2 that have some ability yet may not start.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Like you said, most tryouts are done, so if you haven’t found a team yet, do you really have much of an option?

What I’m seeing at this late date is a whole lot of “just need a pitcher and a catcher”, which is code for there are too many teams...

Feb 14, 2019
Almost all of the teams is in this area have already held tryouts. But it seems as though some teams are short a player or two. There is a website many local teams use to advertise for players . Here is are examples which are indicative of most of them.

The XXX 10U Team is looking for a couple more players to round out the 2021 Team. Please reach out ASAP via Text to Coach XXXX or reply to this message, private tryout dates coming soon...Thanks!

XXX are looking for 1 player to finish out our 18U Roster. Looking for an outfielder or a utility player preferably.

XXX looking for more players to round out their young U10 team! Birth year 2011. You can call XXXXX or email them at XXXX Great program with a strong foundation.

The thing that stands out to me is that these teams appear to be looking for bench players. Would your DD be OK trying out for a team under those circumstances? I realize that there is a fine line for the coaches between keeping your current roster that tried out and accepted happy and trying to find that last player or 2 that have some ability yet may not start.

I'd have no problem with my DD trying out for them under those circumstances. Odds are that one or two (or more) of the players already on the roster are weak in some areas (ability, experience, heart, hustle, attitude...) so there will be ongoing competition to see who sits the most come game time.

Things could also change dramatically over the course of a season depending on who is working hard and how that translates onto the field during games. Just because a child was on the roster first doesn't guarantee them playing time...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yep - once tryouts are basically over there are going to be teams that need bodies and lost souls along with the teams that are circling like vultures to see if there is something worthwhile picking up when someone folds.

Lots of teams that probably should merge - but that rarely happens because of coach egos (or politics or both - but mainly egos).
It becomes a waiting game to see who blinks or panics first - which team folds and players scatter and who can get what talent (or bodies) that were there.

For the best teams still 'looking for one' - that is code for looking for the right players. There are always a few girls who are really talented but are on some of these teams struggling to field a team for a variety of reasons (dad is coach, playing with friends, loyalty, closest field to their house, etc), so even the best teams are making sure that when that team folds; they know there is still the opportunity to consider this particular team or org even if they really have plenty of players to field a team.

Oct 26, 2019
Like you said, most tryouts are done, so if you haven’t found a team yet, do you really have much of an option?

What I’m seeing at this late date is a whole lot of “just need a pitcher and a catcher”, which is code for there are too many teams...
Amen! Always like the ads that say “looking for a pitcher, catcher, and shortstop to add to a great core of girls”. Like ummm...if you don’t have those things then you don’t have a “core”.

Apr 11, 2016

In our area, most of the teams are still looking for strong players, including DD's current team. We are still looking for a strong pitcher and preferably another good 1st base. With a late Spring season, we just finished our season and starting the fall season this weekend. The town didn't allow tryouts until recently, so we didn't have much time for tryouts.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW

I don't know that is necessarily true. In our area there seem to be teams with a planned roster of 12 but currently have 11, or 13 and have 12 etc.. They'll stay with their 11 unless they find someone who fits with their program. That doesn't mean bench players. That is dependent on the coach/coaching philosophy. I know teams that play everyone quite a bit...so not true "bench" players and I know that there are others that play best 9 and others sit. I can't get from the posts that they are looking for bench players-unless you know the team/coach and their past patterns/philosophy.

Yes my DD would be OK trying out under those circumstances. We have several friends that did not jump at offers right away. Things change. And they both found their "dream" team by being patient. YMMV.

Finally there are girls that just want to play and if they get on a team...more power to them. Help grow the game and the skills regardless of the level that they are currently at.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ads should say:
Team XXXX is looking for hard working players/ student/athletes to compete. We are currently rostering 11 players and looking to add strength. ALL POSITIONS ARE OPEN. Coaches have no DD on team. Pitchers and big bats always welcome.

Sep 19, 2018
I know this summer was very odd. But due to covid one of the local orgs was short on it's 2nd 10U team. In mid June, they put out a very generic, "Looking to play ball and have fun this summer?" ad. My dd got to play on a travel team and had a blast. She then made the 09' 12U team and is excited to be part of this org.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles