Abbott's "pitching while kneeling on exercise ball" drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would like to add to this thread by emphasizing a few points:

1) The guy working with Monica in the video is NOT a softball coach or a pitching instructor, simply a creative, sound, and effective strength and conditioning coach who ''understands'' softball-specific training. Unfortunately, not enough do.

2) This drill is NOT a pitching drill, it is simply a strength and conditioning exercise integrating a sport-specific aspect. The purpose of this drill is NOT to improve her mechanics or anything, it is simply to teach her body how to better recruit and fire the various core muscles and stabilizers involved in the pitching motion.

It's an advanced sport-specific core conditioning exercise, nothing else.

3) Not everybody can do this at first (he explains that Monica sucked at it at first) but you would expect any high level athlete to be able to master this kind of exercise at some point.

4) Yes, mechanics is not optimized in this drill and is not perfect. But doing this is not likely to hurt your mechanics as you only do it a couple of times. The overall benefits probably outweigh easily the less-than-perfect arm motion that results from trying to pitch kneeling on a stability ball.

5) Core Conditioning vs. Abdominal Training. Most people think that core training is really just abdominal training but it's not. Doing floor-based crunches, sit-ups or leg raises has NOTHING to do by sports core conditioning because it does not mimic the demands of the game of softball. Core training is about recruiting and teaching all of the muscles in the lower part of the trunk (abs, obliques, lower back, internal stabilizers, hips, buttocks, etc.) how to work together to achieved the desired action and keep the body strong and stable while executing the desired action.

In sum...

- It is a simple softball-specific core training exercise and not a pitching drill
- It is an advanced core exercise and you would progress using a lot of other exercises to train the core before you get to doing this

Cheers,

Coach Marc :)

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Alot of specific sports movement is dependent on the core. The stronger our core is the more stable we can execute the skill. The video may not show much to a pitching coach but it's an extra conditioning training exercise to help you get more stable. If i were the coach i would make her also pitch at a 45-degree angle on the ball facing the receiver.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I have to ask what Monica would gain at this point by this exercise/drill? More speed, consistency, what? She already has both. For her I believe it would be a gimmick at best.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have to ask what Monica would gain at this point by this exercise/drill?

Does it matter? She looks to me like she is enjoying the challenge.

How many of you have ever done planks with an exercise ball? It is very difficult. It is amazing to me she can even balance herself on the thing, let alone pitch.

I don't see any harm in it, and it looks like fun. Anyone care to guess how many of the regulars could do the drill?

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
@CoachFP - Definitely not a gimmick. Athletes at high levels need to work 10x harder than 14U player to improve a tiny bit.

In fact, they have to work super hard just to MAINTAIN their high level of effectiveness and their sharpness, if not, they would lose.

What does she has to gain out of core conditioning?

Probably not much more speed or control. But making her body more stable and her core stronger will help her:

1) Prevent injuries considering the high-intensity of her pitching motion and how long her levers are (she is 6'3!!!). The longer the levers (arms, legs), the more likely you are to injure them.

2) Increased effectiveness in the long-run. Increased body control and stability will allow her to:

a) throw without spending as much energy (a little more effortless for same results)
b) increased stamina as a result
c) less mechanical breakdown when overused or when body gets tired later in the game as it has learn to optimize muscular efficiency through a stronger core.

And potentially... more control and accuracy as improved core stability gives an athlete in any sport better control of her overall body.

It can ONLY be beneficial. Just ensuring to stay healthy and pain-free is enough to make it worth while.

Coach Marc :)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This thread has given me a great idea. There's no way my 11 yo DD can do this drill, but she can certainly sit on a physioball while she's doing her homework! I'm getting rid of the big cushy reclining computer chair today!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Plus, I suspect that Monica's pitching style could eventually hurt her back. This exercise looks like an excellent stabilizer for those poor back muscles.

If she hadn't made this clip, would we be talking about Monica this week?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Does it matter? She looks to me like she is enjoying the challenge.

How many of you have ever done planks with an exercise ball? It is very difficult. It is amazing to me she can even balance herself on the thing, let alone pitch.

I don't see any harm in it, and it looks like fun. Anyone care to guess how many of the regulars could do the drill?

She is enjoying the challenge? What challenge, throw a softball while kneeling on a big rubber ball? Ok, I have another challenge for her, let her throw while hanging upside down.
I can see her throwing off that goofy ball and pulling a muscle or slipping a disc. But I guess I am in the "land of made up drills", so everything is fair game.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Coach: As to the challenge of doing what Monica Abbott is doing, I got $20 that says you can't do it.

I don't even know how she can stay on the athletic ball. My abs are screaming after 50 or so crunches on one of those things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA