A sad day.....DD's basketball career is probably over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just got an message on my laptop that tryouts for the HS basketball team are in 30 minutes....but my DD will not be trying out this year. She decided to give up basketball so she can concentrate on TB and winter softball workouts. It is probably the right decision, but she has been playing basketball since she was 6 and a part of me hates to see her give it up - even though she has no chance of playing basketball at the next level (inherited her dad's affliction of "white man's disease").

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am sitting in the car waiting for mine to get out of basketball upractice. I am sure this will be her last year. Unforturnately, much like softball, there are many year round travel basketball players, and the average player just can't make the cut for long.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Mine left her field hockey stick in the bag this yr so she could focus on her softball. Though I too think it was a good decision on her part, I do miss seeing her play for her school. Field Hockey and Basketball are all that her middle school offers for girls. Perhaps next yr as a Freshman she will change her mind, but it was kinda nice to see her decide to focus on just one sport.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am sitting in the car waiting for mine to get out of basketball upractice. I am sure this will be her last year. Unforturnately, much like softball, there are many year round travel basketball players, and the average player just can't make the cut for long.

She got in the car and said "remind me next year that I hate basketball."

Well just turns out her coach is a jerk. She said "all the sports I have played we are a team and the coach is our leader. He thinks he is the warden and we are the prisoners."
She said he yells from start to finish...tells them they waste his time...they can't do anything right. Tonight he asked a girl if she didn't think he knew what he was talking about, she said "yes". He said "yes I don't know what I am talking about?" She said "no, I think you know what you are talking about." He said "then quit looking at me like I am a dumb a$$."

Thursday is their first games...there will be A B and C teams. They find out what team they are on 10 minutes before the first game. He told them that is "because non of you deserve to be on an A or B team and you would all be on C if they would let me."

I said if you don't want to play next year, that is fine, but don't ever let a clown like that keep you from doing whatever you want.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RHC, classic lines and I like your dd! Unfortunately, she is in for a miserable experience. Too bad! I wish her luck!!!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RHC, you ever make it down to my neck of the woods and I'll give her a lesson. She'll have fun and begin her journey to the LPGA. Wait, I meant the NPF. LOL!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD's basketball career ended and she will never pick up a basketball again even to just toss it to someone. DD was leading the team in scoring in 8th grade. Team was not good. DD did shoot a lot but they won. In game, coach told her that if she took a shot, she would be benched. She stole a ball, dribbled the length of the court and made a layup. She was benched. The team did not score again that game. DD benched for the next four games. Team played a couple of games where they scored 6 or less for entire game. We are getting killed and dd was/is tall. She can go between legs, has a spin move, can make left and right handed layups... (In the winters she practiced with my varsity team from the time she could handle a ball.) She is put into the game and told if she shoots, she will be benched. She steals the ball in a diamond and one press, goes to make a layup with teammates yelling at her to stop. She stops passes, gets the ball back and makes a layup. Benched. Never played in another game. Coach threatened to kill her. Coach was fired. DD was asked many times to play in HS. I was the Head Coach in Basketball and had resigned. Like I said, you can not get her to pick up a basketball at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing