9 yo varsity basketball player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know, but it is Downey Christian high school in Florida. So, there must be different rules. Does anyone know how long she would be eligible? Is it 4 years?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How does a 9 year old get to play in high school??

Good question...Downey Christian is not a member of the Florida High School Athletic Association. So, they basically don't have any participation rules--which means that they can't play teams which belong to the FHSAA.

She is great for her age. The team she was playing isn't very good...I doubt she would do so well against any marginal HS team.

Oct 19, 2009
I played HS varsity football when I was in the eighth grade a few others did also and we played HS 5 years it was in 1968.

They had a very small HS down the road form where I lived and they had a football team and usually had 14 or less players on the team. According to some of the old timers when they did not have 11 players (someone hurt or sick) the coach would suit up and play. The school closed around 1966.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It is good that she has a place to play, though. Most her age, would be stuck in Bitty Ball, playing 1/2 court.

My 9 yo plays full court, but it with a 9' rim, man defense only allowed and no back court press. It looks nothing like what this 9 year old is playing against even if it isn't the stiffest of HS competition. She should be commended. I for one am impressed with her basketball skills at that age.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I feel like more 9s could do that to some extent. Generally at her age basketball isn't practiced at home - just at school. I would have players look at her and point out the basics that she is doing - dribble, dribble, dribble. Do not stop. Do not pick up the ball. Keep moving. She reminds me of the Williams girls (tennis) at that age.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Very impressive, but I don't think sending her into the paint will end well.
A tough deal for the parents to find her a place to play, but I think the size mismatch is a very bad idea.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle