8u playing with emotion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2010
we play in our state tourny we took 2nd place.i know this has been posted befor.our coaches told our girls that if they cried or got upset that they would sit out . will about 90% of the cring was done by there own girls.the head coachs 2 and the asst. 1 to but not once was the rule inforced on them. now the other players seeit and they are the ones that were sat down.now granted that the ones who where sat down was because they new that they made mistake on field and they where upset with that and they did not what to let the team,parents, coaches down but yet they were punished for there emotions. they made up for it the next time but not the other 3.it was downhill after that.moral was low after they saw what was going on.but my ? is should they have been treated the same.as team or as indv. players.in the end my daughter said when asked to play with the same team and coaches she said no.and they said that she was not going play for anybody any more,the would see to that.(coaches talking)but as it would have her 1st year coach is getting a team to 10u and has asked here to play for him and to show them what a real player can do.all i can say to her now is that i am proud of what she did and that when she is ready to stop playing it is okay with me.no coach should ever tell a player that they will keep them from playing.and if it would not had been for my daughter i think i would have done what all the other parents would have done if they had heard the comments made by the both of them.the girls played with all the heart that they had and like i said befor i could not be anymore proud of my daughter and the rest of the crew for what they did this year.they went 13-0 for league play and 2 frist places and 2 nd places in tourny play.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bunch of idiots out there. I do not think the League would like a person addressing a young lady like that associated with their organization.

Daddyball is hard to deal with, it does not necessarily get better.

Wish your DD luck on her new Team, it will be a better experence for her.

Feb 3, 2011
Frequent meltdowns would be a problem, but give me the kid who cares and I'll do my best to help her become more than she thought she could ever be.

Benching a kid for tears is poor form, IMO, but there's probably a group of parents who'd consider it 'humiliating' to send a tearful player onto the field in front of everyone.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Very sad. 11 year old players still cry.

One of my pitchers was crying after a game:
Me: "What's wrong you're not upset about how you pitched today are you?" (she did fine)
Her: "No I'm crying about something that happened at school yesterday".

May 18, 2009
Nothing wrong with having emotions. It's why I want my DD playing sports. Teach them adversity and how to react to it. There were tears this weekend when they came in second place. None of them had anything to cry about and every parent there was proud of what they accomplished. At 8U it should be about learning the game. Winning should be secondary but parents and coaches egos get in the way.

Hope your DD finds a team with a coach that understands age development and emotions.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Bunch of idiots out there.
well said!

this is U8!! this BS infuriates me....good for your DD. whatever organization that team belongs to should be made aware of the D-bag coaches and should put an end to them right away.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
What a complete loser. Yikes.

Girls cry. Sometimes that's just how they deal with things. They cry and then they're ready to go. If a girl is doing it a lot, putting on a diva-esque show that is something different.

Mar 13, 2010
They came 2nd at state? That's brilliant!

I was 11 when my team was in the grand final for state knockout. We lost 1-0. I assure you every girl was in tears. I even cried after my last grand final loss. I was 24! There is nothing wrong with crying after a big loss. It's somewhat normal.

That 'coach' needs to be reported.

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
One word to answer your question. "HORMONES". Coaches who don't know or understand how to deal with the female athlete and the hormones that are associated with young girls at this age are idiots. Understanding the female athlete and the battles that begin at this age on and off the field are issues only few successful coaches have the ability to understand.

Find a coach that understands the difference between emotion and emotions.........they are 2 very huge differences! Too much pressure at this age will crush a young lady. Its a hard thing to deal with but crying in softball happens........teaching the ability to cry for a few minutes and move on to the next play is a challenge that will only be learned in time.

Hope it works out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan