6th grade Verbal Commit--the middle of the story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I wondered what had happened to this player since committing. Sounds like she's working hard.

https://extrainningsoftball.com/the...history-her-subsequent-baptism-by-fire-water/
DD was her teammate on a couple of different occasions. She works hard and has a huge bat. I think the batting will be her most valuable asset for colleges.

I don't have any information, but I think the reason that she is uncommitted is that she is aiming at the very very pointy end of the spectrum. That is rarefied air.

I'm rooting for her.

Aug 5, 2022
Dd is the same age as her. Played against her on that 10u team that one PGF. Now as the article states she’s back with Ross on a team we also have friends on. Seems like a great kid. Back in 10u she was unbelievable, heads and shoulders above the rest of her competition. She was bigger, faster and stronger than the other kids. She’s still a very very good player but she doesn’t stand out as much in any of those categories as she did when she was young. I personally hope she finds what she’s looking for and has a great career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
After reading that I have a few main thoughts:

1. That family spent a lot of money on softball. More than we ever will.
2. The recruiting of young girls was really out of hand back then
3. She hasn't taken game reps in almost a year? Huh? [For those that haven't read the entire article, she's on a top team but doesn't get game reps]

Jun 8, 2016
I just skimmed the article. Did it say anywhere that the parents and Walton apologized to the kid for putting her in an impossible situation?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
After reading that I have a few main thoughts:

1. That family spent a lot of money on softball. More than we ever will.
2. The recruiting of young girls was really out of hand back then
3. She hasn't taken game reps in almost a year? Huh? [For those that haven't read the entire article, she's on a top team but doesn't get game reps]
No. 3--Wonder why Stith didn't put her in any games the entire summer? Pool games? Or there could have been an understanding that she gets all the benefits of working out with the team but no game time. I see lots of kids on college rosters that don't get game reps but get the benefit of practicing with team and carrying gear to the buses.

Jun 8, 2016
No. 3--Wonder why Stith didn't put her in any games the entire summer? Pool games?
Odd for sure but more than likely she just isn’t good enough to justify get time on a team where 1/2-3/4 of the team is going to the top college teams in the country. Seems to me like the parents aren't willing to accept the fact that she just isn't that type of player...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Interesting article and yet another tale of the early journey that some take in this sport. I hope this kid finds her perfect home and school that brings it all together for her.

I'm sure that most of us on here feel that they could write a book about what they have gone through...some would be dark and some would be inspirational and then, some might even be worth reading.

Dec 11, 2010
I just skimmed the article. Did it say anywhere that the parents and Walton apologized to the kid for putting her in an impossible situation?
Almost criminal. But don’t worry about Timbo, he never gave it a second thought. Handled it like every other P5 coach would.

From the article:
—————————————————————————————————————————
“Some saw a red flag in how many club teams the 2024 grad has been a part of—from the Impact to the Mojo to the Hotshots to the Batbusters to the Virginia Unity and some squads in-between—though many coaches, a surprising amount actually, based on what one might expect—saw her transferring to other teams as a positive opportunity for Alexia to move up in age division or to play steeper competition.

In other words, they were OK with the moves and were even supportive of them, for the most part, as they saw these changes as a way for Alexia to advance and improve her game.”
—————————————————————————————————————————

This is complete B.S. Those coaches couldn’t care less about the players. They care about themselves and the image of their organization. These statements are completely self serving, for a variety of reasons.

Extra Innings Softball, and their ilk, should be ashamed of the part they play in all this. Think about this the next time they post their standard weepy memorial article about some poor kid who took her own life because of all this nonsense.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
This is all going to get worse as more schools learn how to use NIL money. I’m sure EIS etc are licking their chops figuring out how they can get in on the money making. NCAA will be about 5 years behind the curve figuring this all out. If they handle this half as well as they handled the 5th year eligibility situation, its really gonna be a wild ride, and people are gonna be hurt.

I can’t wait until the moment I never have to think about all this again.

Good luck to all of you whose kids are headed for this mess. I know good old Bill and Mike and Uncle Tony tell you how awesome it is (and maybe it will be for your kid), but you better have your head on a swivel. Yeah, this means you. No matter how awesome and special you are told your kid is. Be careful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma