2013 DeMarini Vendetta vs. 2014 Combat Fernandez

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Looking for a 30/18 decent bat at a tolerable price for my 9yo DD, I ended up selecting a 2013 Demarini Vendetta (2-piece composite, $130) that became one of her Christmas presents. It's a very nice-looking (IMO) bat that my DD really likes the feel of. On the field, I was a little underwhelmed by how the ball was coming off the bat. Being a composite barrel, there might be some breaking-in that still needs to happen before we see optimum performance. Also, we've been doing a lot of work on my DD's swing mechanics, so I was chalking some of it up to her swing still needing work. Hitting off a tee, she was getting line drives to the edge of the grass on a pretty good-sized field, but I was expecting a bit more. She was hitting farther than that with her 29" Easton Synge and worse swing mechanics.

On a whim, I went shopping for a cheap alternate bat for her bag, and stumbled into the Combat Lisa Fernandez (alloy barrel, composite handle). To my surprise, by sub-$30 max bid on eBay was the winner - new in wrapper, with warranty. Batting during team practice last night, and swinging the Combat, my DD hit the longest line drives I've seen from her. The difference was dramatic! These were the kind of hits I was expecting from all the hitting work we've been doing.

I haven't given up on the Vendetta, but in the meantime, I'm damn impressed with the Combat for $30. Best of all was my DD's excitement at hitting the ball harder than she ever has before.

A question for those more knowledgeable/experienced...
I heard a comment a while back that composite bats with softer balls (11" RIF-1, in this case) is a mistake. The trampoline effect advantage of a composite is lost with a softer ball, and the stiffer barrel of an alloy bat is more effective. My one comparison seems to support this theory, but there are a lot of other factors involved that make me reluctant to come to the same conclusion. Is there any merit to this?

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
With that ball...I have no doubt. That's like using an incrediball...haha

Not a real good ball for your only comparison. When you start bringing those restricted sponge balls (RIF1, clinchers...etc), the hard barrels that's don't "give" or "react" are usually better.

I was never a Vendetta fan and I am very glad to hear you like the Combat. I told you not to be surprised if she liked it.

We play mens indoor tournys here in the winter and the dome is divided into 4 fields...so each one is very small. We use the incrediballs and I use an original Demarini White Steel.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks, CS20. The RIF-1's are the regulation ball for 10U in our league. It looks like I might have found out the hard way that this guy's theory was right all along. Damn...

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
I found the same thing with the vendetta. It seemed like at first she was hitting the ball pretty hard but all of a sudden something seemed to change. I bought an Anderson Nanotech (alloy) new off eBay for about $50 and she has not touched the vendetta since. The balls jumps off the Anderson bat compared to the vendetta.

Now having said all of that, she now swings the -10 demarini CF6 and now the Anderson has become the 'cold weather' bat because the ball really flys off of the CF6

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I own the Vendetta from a couple seasons back... it was just OK, nothing to write home about. The following year I bought my then 8yr old dd a Miken Freak (white with scroll writing) I found it new in wrapper on eBay ... I paid $100 for it. It was an incredible bat for the price. By the end of the season, I think every single girl on the team was using it. I've never seen that combat bat up close, but the men's slow pitch bats by combat are pretty good. So for that reason I'd go with the combat if they're the only two choices.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I own the Vendetta from a couple seasons back... it was just OK, nothing to write home about. The following year I bought my then 8yr old dd a Miken Freak (white with scroll writing) I found it new in wrapper on eBay ... I paid $100 for it. It was an incredible bat for the price. By the end of the season, I think every single girl on the team was using it. I've never seen that combat bat up close, but the men's slow pitch bats by combat are pretty good. So for that reason I'd go with the combat if they're the only two choices.

Great bat for the money you paid for it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd