2013 DeMarini CF5 vs. new Easton Power Brigade?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Starting to consider a new bat, and I've always had either Eastons or DeMarinis. I had a DeMarini 2011 CF4 ST which I thought was lacking compared to my old Phenix. Now I've had a 2010 Easton Stealth (-9, black model) and I really liked it. It is starting to lose its pop, so I was thinking about the 2012 Stealth Speed but then the Power Brigade bats came out, and now I'm intrigued!

Any reviews here on the CF5? I haven't seen too many people using it, but it has been out longer than the Power Brigade, which I assume people haven't had a chance to try yet.

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2011
The fs1 brigade has a new handle for durability but otherwise is the same. The cf5 is very good but has more flex than the brigade...you may not like that if you are used to the Stealth.

Oct 10, 2011
Find another phenix!

Agreed. Redhot...where do you attend meetings?:). We are adding the brigade to our collection...one we are playing mostly Utrip, and two, we are from Pittsburgh and we love the colors:). She actually wanted a stiffer 2piece bat also. It's only money. Will probably sell the CF5.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Agreed. Redhot...where do you attend meetings?:). We are adding the brigade to our collection...one we are playing mostly Utrip, and two, we are from Pittsburgh and we love the colors:). She actually wanted a stiffer 2piece bat also. It's only money. Will probably sell the CF5.

Oh cool! You like Hawkeye colors in Pittsburgh too!:cool:

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Does anyone know of any performance/durability differences between the 2012 Stealth Speed and the Power Brigades? I know I can find the Stealth for under $200 on some websites because of closeouts, so if that's the better bat I would jump on that deal.

Oct 10, 2011
Does anyone know of any performance/durability differences between the 2012 Stealth Speed and the Power Brigades? I know I can find the Stealth for under $200 on some websites because of closeouts, so if that's the better bat I would jump on that deal.

Again, the new brigade is the same bat as the Stealth with a new handle because the Stealth had durability issues. The Stealth was great until it broke. Get the brigade on cyber Monday...you'll find deals at the big sports stores. I just got one for 239.00 (FS1 two piece) 400 day warranty.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Thanks iMlearning! Any opinions on the 1 piece vs 2 piece? I've always used a 2 piece but that was just because I used to think that a 1 piece bat was of lower quality (like less high-end) than a 2 piece, but I'm learning that this isn't true.

I've heard that stronger hitters should use a 1 piece because it will last longer? I'm no Crystl Bustos, but I would say I am certainly on the stronger end of the spectrum.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks iMlearning! Any opinions on the 1 piece vs 2 piece? I've always used a 2 piece but that was just because I used to think that a 1 piece bat was of lower quality (like less high-end) than a 2 piece, but I'm learning that this isn't true.

I've heard that stronger hitters should use a 1 piece because it will last longer? I'm no Crystl Bustos, but I would say I am certainly on the stronger end of the spectrum.

A one piece is more durable, has less flex, and more feedback than a two piece. It is more of a matter of preference between the two. If you don't make good contact on a one piece, you'll feel it more(stinging, etc). The two piece is more forgiving in that regard as it absorbs some of that energy as it flexes more. Some 2 pieces flex more than others. As a power hitter you would want less flex. My DD prefers a 2 piece but owns both. She is very strong but complains that the one piece hurts more. We use the one piece for practice. From what I'm told, the xeno and brigade have the least amount of flex for 2 pieces. That's why we are going with the fs1 2 piece.
Have to run...hope that helps

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
Last night I bought my DD a new Phenix 33/25, to replace her current 12 CF5(33/24).
She was testing the 12 and 13 CF5 (33/24), 12 and 13 insane and fx1 (33/24). She was hitting the best with the phenix, said it had the smoothest swing. The second choice was the FX1 but felt she had to push more to get the same result.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan