1st ever tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ridiculous hot today, but the girls had a blast! And they really stepped up their game from game 1 to game 3! We lost 14-6, 8-1, and 5-4. Couldn't be happier with the effort today!

Excellent... had a game to learn, a better game and one you could have won. Can't ask for much more for the first day out!

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Man oh man did the girls play great today! Of course we faced the top seed and we played them seriously tough for 5 innings. A couple of walks, a few hits and one home run later and we went from down 3-0 to down 8-0, but we made them work hard to beat us! That was fun, and the girls had an awesome time (and of course I'm already getting emails about playing time)!

Man oh man did the girls play great today! Of course we faced the top seed and we played them seriously tough for 5 innings. A couple of walks, a few hits and one home run later and we went from down 3-0 to down 8-0, but we made them work hard to beat us! That was fun, and the girls had an awesome time (and of course I'm already getting emails about playing time)!

Sounds like a great weekend. We have tournament #2 next weekend. Can't wait. And fortunately, no playing time emails yet!

Sounds like a great weekend. We have tournament #2 next weekend. Can't wait. And fortunately, no playing time emails yet!

BTW, I spoke too soon. Turns out the #3/4 pitcher quit after our first tournament. Dad complained she only got 2 innings in 5 games at tournament. She only got one inning all year in rec ball, never said a peep. Said she's been busting her butt lately (the past week) and that's all she gets? My DD is the #2 and pitched most of the innings as HC and his DD who is our #1 but is also really a #2 were away for that tourney and I had the helm. HC said yeah but your DD was not throwing strikes and got rocked in her 2 innings.

Scratch one FB friend. Bad thing is our DDs are very tight friends. My DD has been the one working with his to get her better, she just isn't there yet. :(

Jun 12, 2015
Quit after ONE tournament of not getting what they perceived to be enough pitching time? That might be no great loss. I would think they'd at least talk to you about it. If she's been working that hard the improvements should speak for themselves over time and she should get more pitching time I would think.

Quit after ONE tournament of not getting what they perceived to be enough pitching time? That might be no great loss. I would think they'd at least talk to you about it. If she's been working that hard the improvements should speak for themselves over time and she should get more pitching time I would think.

Well it is rec ball all stars, not travel ball, and we are in our second and final tournament this weekend with the HC's DD back so I guess since she didn't look to pitch this weekend, they called it quits.

Jun 12, 2015
I guess that makes more sense but I feel pretty strongly about bailing on your team just because you're not happy about what position you're playing. Without some sort of extenuating circumstances I'd never let my kid do that. We had that happen on our team (which is travel) this year. Girl was our weakest player but the coaches invested a lot of time in trying to develop her. It just didn't happen. But they didn't make her sit all the time. They rotated through our outfield, and she sat about the same amount as all but our strongest outfielder. She didn't hustle, didn't pay attention, never caught a single ball in a game (literally! They'd bounce in front of her, to catch she'd stick her glove out as far from her as possible and turn her head away, etc). Her parents got huffy that the coach didn't let her play infield and they quit the team. It was no great loss for us; we played better without her. But I feel like they did their daughter a huge disservice.

Oh I agree, it was sour grapes. She was our starting 2B and did a nice job, and I told her so. Not having her at this tournament definitely hurt us. My kids have never quit anything unless the coach has been abusive or grossly unfair, and that's only happened once before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13