14yo still looking for advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2009
Jan9 - YouTube

Jan9slomo - YouTube

New vid. First chance we've had to work on getting a better push off since i posted due to various reason
A camp this wlnd being one reason. This video is only throwing into her glove again but they had thrown at school so we just tried to focus on her doing some of the things commented on here.again any comments appreciated

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
She looks better and she must be working hard at it. You may consider getting a shot from behind her or from the catcher's view to be sure her arched back (which is also better) is not causing her to lean. Someone commented earlier about her arm whip- it almost seems like she comes from 3 to 6 in a good way but I think she is losing the benefit of the whip at that point. I see her elbow leading in, but as the upper arm gets to the 12-6 (for lack of a better explanation) I think then it should stay and allow the forearm, wrist and hand to come through - then the elbow releases and follows. She does not seem to do this, her arm straightens and comes through straight so she loses some of the whip she has generated.- Please let her know that her hard work is evident!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan9 - YouTube

Jan9slomo - YouTube

New vid. First chance we've had to work on getting a better push off since i posted due to various reason
A camp this wlnd being one reason. This video is only throwing into her glove again but they had thrown at school so we just tried to focus on her doing some of the things commented on here.again any comments appreciated

flamethrower, her front knee is locked, and that works just like in hitting. The locked knee is a weight shift barrier. It can be physically harmful to knee tissues, but also is keeping her leaning back just as it does in hitting against the front leg. I would advise you to have her put her front foot down with a slightly bent knee, not locked and her weight will come forward on balance. She looks pretty good though, and improving a lot.

If she struggles with this concept, you can put a harmless rag or hand towel half-way in the power-line and tell her to step over it bent knee as she is already doing, and drag the towel up to her front foot. Not necessarily against it, but to it!

Feb 4, 2009
Ok. Thanks everyone for the comments. Progress is being made. What is giving her fits now is she still has the arched back and head towards first base. This is causing(maybe caused by) her arm circle to be skewed so that she goes over her head and on the way down completely behind her head to the first base side. I have a picture that shows this pretty clearly that I will try to uploa if my description is not sufficient.
Can you guys recommend some things she can do to improve those things? We've been doing reps at less than full speed, k type drills where instead of stopping at 12 and making the throw she comes over to 9 and then makes the throw back over the top.

Thanks

9FD1F851.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Ok. Thanks everyone for the comments. Progress is being made. What is giving her fits now is she still has the arched back and head towards first base. This is causing(maybe caused by) her arm circle to be skewed so that she goes over her head and on the way down completely behind her head to the first base side. I have a picture that shows this pretty clearly that I will try to uploa if my description is not sufficient.
Can you guys recommend some things she can do to improve those things? We've been doing reps at less than full speed, k type drills where instead of stopping at 12 and making the throw she comes over to 9 and then makes the throw back over the top.

Thanks

Lotz good stuff on this thread....just a little thing I do with my DD....when I want her to focus on one thing, I use the Perfect Circle concept... not me, the aid that you get online...which I was not happy with how it was made...too tight...I went to Walmarts and got 2 ajustable velcro sleeping bag straps for $5...It dose'nt have the flap, but you can duch tape a card for that...but I did learn form it...it was so tight it anoyed her, and caused her to think about it....I do the same thing with elbow ankle bandages ... we have a store called Dollar Tree an I can get 2 for $1....it makes them sweat on the spot it covers, thus focus...even placebo effect....I say I want to work on your elbow whip, here put this on...you can get knee braces ect.... I got a ankle brace that is velcro's with ribs to hold her foot straight, instead of the of the wood block.... Also helps tag my video's you can tell what we are working on...another video thing...DD is turning ten next month, and my video's have been cut in half, because we have to fix hair ect...and she asks if I going to post them online...You are geting such great responce because of your video's...I went to trying to obsure her with editing software...she losens up more...

Working on it ... - YouTube

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
this will definitely affect her speed and consistency- she can try wall drills (standing open, toes facing wall about 6inches away- ball on wall and go through motion. Hard to have palm up at 3 oclock, but u can get close. She needs to be able to feel the position that her arm needs to be in- with that- she can do mirror work with sock, you can even put line on the mirror to show her where her arm needs to be- biggest thing with my dd when she had this problem was - I would say- your arm is off line- she would say- no it isn't. she really couldn't feel the difference so she needed the visual to correct. IT has definitely helped

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors