“Off-season” throwing routine - stay sharp or just rest?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Intuitively I would think late season. Everything I've read in the data says early in the season due to lack of prep for high workloads. In God we trust, all others bring data.
You are 100% correct. If the pitching and workload is managed properly throughout the season, then the arm will get stronger throughout the season and not “breakdown”. Most injuries happen early in the year because athletes didn’t properly prepare for the workload.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
3-6 weeks would be amazing. I have NEVER seen a student take time off that hasn't come back faster, fresher and often showing better mechanics than where we left off at full motion.
Faster too. My dd took long breaks from pitching every winter and came back stronger every time.

Oct 26, 2019
To circle back to OP’s original question. Whether you rest or not depends on your individual DD. Most of the rest everyone has recommended is really “active rest”. They aren’t completely doing nothing for 2-3 months (at least I hope). They are lifting, running, playing another sport, etc.

Several posts have mentioned taking time off has resulted in their kids throwing harder when they return. That is probably the result of an undiagnosed injury being allowed to heal and/or someone who was overworked during the year. It could possibly be natural strength gains from being a few months older. There are a lot of possible reasons, but taking 2 months off from something doesn’t make you better at it.

My DD made her middle school team this fall and it was a big adjustment practicing every day instead of just twice a week and then throw in travel ball on the weekends it was the most softball she has done. She is going to take some time off this winter and play basketball. She needs it for the psychological reason and she’s only 11. I wonder if everyone in the rest camp though would advise a HS senior pitcher with no offers who wants to play in college take a few months off this winter?

Oct 14, 2019
Any advice on this board for softball players to train year round in a single sport is clearly contrary to widely accepted medical advice.

See, e.g., the following from Dr. James Andrews, who makes a living correcting sports injuries from overuse.

Jun 8, 2016
They aren’t completely doing nothing for 2-3 months (at least I hope). They are lifting, running, playing another sport, etc.
I am going to be completely honest, the amount of overweight softball players (heck I see a decent amount of overweight bball players as well ) I see here in OK is alarming.

Oct 14, 2019
I am going to be completely honest, the amount of overweight softball players (heck I see a decent amount of overweight bball players as well which is strange to me..) I see here in OK is alarming.
I agree. I think most of the softball players I see would benefit more from conditioning than practicing softball.

Jul 19, 2021
DD is a 2028 who just moved from 10U to 12U this fall. Team is dark for 6-8 weeks, so I’m trying to determine the best use of that time. She threw 252 innings in 2021, so I’m debating whether to give her 6 weeks off to completely rest, or to keep throwing short bullpens (2-3 days a week) just to stay sharp.

Dads with young pitchers, do you take extended periods of time off to give your kids arm an extended rest?
Take 6 weeks off. She needs it physically and mentally.

Oct 26, 2019
Any advice on this board for softball players to train year round in a single sport is clearly contrary to widely accepted medical advice.

See, e.g., the following from Dr. James Andrews, who makes a living correcting sports injuries from overuse.

Not saying this was directed at me, but if it was - I’m not advocating for year round training in one sport (at least not for young kids). Just trying to counter the argument being made that taking time off somehow magically makes you better. Would taking 2 months off from doing pull-ups make you better at pull-ups? Dr. Andrew’s recommends taking time off to heal the trauma caused form overuse during the season. This isn’t the answer, but it’s the reality sadly, hence his recommendation. The answer is to better manage workloads and the macro/micro cycle throughout the entire year.

Oct 14, 2019
I read an interesting article a few years ago about how AAU year round basketball had negatively impacted the health of the participants. NBA trainers described some of today’s young players as ticking time bombs because of playing too much and putting undue stress on their bodies.

The article referenced a study of young athletes who specialized in one sport year round.

The conclusion:

Those who were highly specialized in one sport (at the exclusion of other sports) and played it year-round were at a significantly higher risk for serious overuse injuries, such as bone and cartilage injuries and ligament injuries. How much higher of a risk? About 125%.

Link to the article:

Oct 14, 2019
Not saying this was directed at me, but if it was - I’m not advocating for year round training in one sport (at least not for young kids). Just trying to counter the argument being made that taking time off somehow magically makes you better. Would taking 2 months off from doing pull-ups make you better at pull-ups? Dr. Andrew’s recommends taking time off to heal the trauma caused form overuse during the season. This isn’t the answer, but it’s the reality sadly, hence his recommendation. The answer is to better manage workloads and the macro/micro cycle throughout the entire year.
I don’t agree with this. I think the rest is not to recover from the trauma but not to suffer the trauma in the first place.

I can’t really counter anyone arguing, however, that a pitcher who throws mostly year round will likely have more success than a part timer. I think that the multi sport players who have success probably do so just because they are superior natural athletes and are good at whatever they try. We all know kids like this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying