Your role as parent v coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
So, you think you have it tough drawing the line between being a parent and a coach? How would you like to be a Hall of Fame athlete and have to try to make that distinction?

That's the topic of an article called Parent First, Coach Second on the Responsible Coach site from Liberty Mutual. (It's a great site, by the way, and one to which you should consider subscribing.)

The focus of the article is on NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana and his relationship with his two sons, both college quarterbacks. In it, Joe talks about how he had to learn to back off and let his sons come to him for advice rather than always trying to tell them what to do.

Think about it. You're Joe Freaking Montana, one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. You have accolades out the wazoo, and an incredible knowledge of the game. Yet when you try to give your son a little help on his game, he doesn't see all that. He sees his danged Dad getting in the way again. That should make all of you who either coach your own kids formally or work with them on the side feel a little better about yourselves.

Drawing that line is one of the toughest parts of youth sports. I know, because I did it for 20-some years between coaching my own kids in soccer and fastpitch softball. But this isn't reserved only for those who are a team coach. Anyone who wants to help their son or daughter succeed in their chosen sport faces this dilemma.

How many times have you stood on the sidelines yelling instructions to your young athlete, even though you're not the coach? Or worse yet, someone else's kid? How many times have you gotten in the car after the game and gone on and on for the duration of the car ride, dissecting each play and analyzing the whole thing ad nauseum? How many times have you made your kid go out and practice after a game when you didn't feel their performance was up to snuff?

I know I've done all of them at one time or another. I'm not proud of it, but admitting it is the first step to getting past it.
What's important to remember is that no matter what your capabilities or past accomplishments are in the world of sports, your first responsibility to your children is to be their parent. Be the one who supports them, who picks them up when they're down, who loves them unconditionally -- even if they did swing at that 0-2 changeup in the dirt you and everyone else at the field*knew was coming.

Yes, be there to help, but let your player decide when it's time. You can't force it. I know.

About 10 or so years ago, I tried to teach my son Eric how to hit a baseball. By that time I'd already built a pretty good track record working with boys and girls, and I knew I could help him improve. But he didn't want any part of it. He resisted everything I told him mightily, and copped an attitude with me when I tried to work with him. I got mad, but then realized it was pointless. So I told him fine, if you want to do it your way go ahead. Have at it.

After a season of futility he came to me and said, "Ok Dad, I'm ready now. I will do whatever you tell me to do." He was true to his word, and his hitting improved dramatically after an off-season of work. He wound up getting a lot of extra base hits in the rest of his career, and working on his hitting became a bonding time for both of us. We still talk about it, in fact. But it only worked because he chose to have me coach him. And during his games, if I wasn't on the coaching staff I just sat back and enjoyed the game as his parent.

So what about you? What have your experiences been? Have you learned how to draw the line between parent and coach, or do you still struggle with it? And if you have any war stories of your own (either as a parent or as a player), be sure to share them in the comments section below.

More...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
How many times have you stood on the sidelines yelling instructions to your young athlete, even though you're not the coach?
A couple times a year

Or worse yet, someone else's kid?
A couple times a game. :)

How many times have you gotten in the car after the game and gone on and on for the duration of the car ride, dissecting each play and analyzing the whole thing ad nauseum?
Never, but we do discuss the game on the car ride home, both good and bad. We talk about her a little bit then talk about the Team and the good plays the other kids made on both Teams. We are done well before our 10 minute ride home unless she wants to talk about it again. Someone on another post mentioned either a 24 or 48 hour rule, they were not allowed to discuss the game until that amount of time has passed. I like that rule but can not abide by it.

How many times have you made your kid go out and practice after a game when you didn't feel their performance was up to snuff?
Never even entered my mind, we go have a milkshake.

My DD has only played softball a couple years and I have only been upset with her once and I let her know it. She was playing outfield rover and did not start moving to the ball until the CF missed it, later in the game same thing happened when a ball was hit to LF. My DD ended up with the ball both times but was way late. I was a little harsh but I told her if she did not want to play softball we would quit, if she could at least make a little effort we would quit after the end of the season. She got the message, if anyone misses a ball my DD is there. She is never out of position but she ends up with balls that a few other players should have gotten. It is actually kind of funny, parents wonder why my DD is involved in so many plays. I can work with her, or get help, on how to hit, pitch, field, etc. If she fails at those parts of the game I blame myself. Hustle I cannot teach, I blame her. Never has been an Issue but I cannot teach her to be a Team player either, she has always been a great team player.

The other coach and I have an agreement with hitting. I work with his girl, he works with mine. :)

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Does anything compare with coaching your own DD. We share her ups and downs. I do have that tendency to get frustrated with her at times. The problem lies in the effort. I am certain that when I was 12 yoa, I didn't always give 100%. But for some reason I expect my DD to always give me her best. If the first step to recovery is in accepting my faults......My name is joemcq51, and I am a frustrated obsessive parent. Now, what is the second step?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ken, this is a great topic. In my area, I'm known for what I've achieved as a coach in baseball, basketball, golf, and softball. I give hitting lessons and often present to area coaches on topics like hitting and defense at various clinics. My daughter has had to grow up with her dad being "the coach" and her being "Coach Butler's daughter." That isn't always easy. As you know, I coached my daughter until last year. As a parent, I think it is important that I, but others as well, realize that there does come a point where it might be better for your daughter's development to turn them over to someone else. I addressed this with some college coaches who all agreed that one of the hardest things some of their players have to deal with when they go to college is not having their parent be their coach. Naturally, that happens in high school ball as well but the intensity is often different and certainly the level of play is different and so,the highs and lows for the player is different. My daughter never complained and in fact wanted me to be her coach. However, for her progression, I knew it was time. We found a program and coaches that we felt were a great fit for her and I grabbed a lawn chair. Last night during an expousre tournament, one college coach interested in my daughter came up after the game and said that she was looking to see if I ran up to the fence when my daughter hit. NOPE! She said that in college the dad coaches often can't help themselves from still wanting to be the coach and so for the college coach, that is an issue. Something to think about!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06