Wristband sign chart

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
They normally yell them out in college as well. And use fingers. And both. And...

Every college is different.

If you want good examples go to www.nevermissasign.com. About 1/2 the coaches I know use this to produce their wristbands.
Never seen them yell numbers in college and I've seen a bunch of games so that's news to me. How on earth would a college coach think a SS could hear the numbers being yelled from the 1st base dugout in the last inning of a tight game with 2000 people there yelling? Hence why they use their fingers.

Aug 20, 2017
Infielders relay to outfielders if it’s off speed or hard. Multiple ways they do that. Have fun with it and don’t over complicate it

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Never seen them yell numbers in college and I've seen a bunch of games so that's news to me. How on earth would a college coach think a SS could hear the numbers being yelled from the 1st base dugout in the last inning of a tight game with 2000 people there yelling? Hence why they use their fingers.

I played basketball in college in front of sometimes 15-20,000 people and when he wanted me to hear, I heard every d**** word my coach said whether I wanted or not even when I was at the other end of the court..

Seriously - many do both verbal and visual so there is NO DOUBT they got the sign. And most college softball crowds are closer to 100 people than 1,000 once you get below the really big programs, so being heard isn't really all that difficult.

Mar 28, 2014
Seriously - many do both verbal and visual so there is NO DOUBT they got the sign. And most college softball crowds are closer to 100 people than 1,000 once you get below the really big programs, so being heard isn't really all that difficult.
Seriously I've been to a ton of college games and have never seen any coach yell the numbers all game long so I disagree with your claim that "many" do both verbal and visual. If many did it, I would have seen at least one school do it out of the 30+ that I have seen play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Seriously I've been to a ton of college games and have never seen any coach yell the numbers all game long so I disagree with your claim that "many" do both verbal and visual. If many did it, I would have seen at least one school do it out of the 30+ that I have seen play.

Your mileage may vary, but we have the biggest D3 tourney here in Florida every year and quite a few of the teams using wristbands were using both. Same at a similar JUCO tournament. Everyone is different. No right nor wrong way - just different.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
So I watched an 8U All-Star championship game yesterday. The other team's players wore wrist bands. One of their hitters called time with a foot in the box, looked down at her wristband to determine what she was instructed to do.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with an indicator from the third base coach and looking for the sign?

Oct 4, 2018
As a parent, I totally get where you’re coming from, but as a coach I’m not really concerned how people perceive it. It’s about communicating with the players, and helping them succeed, holding up numbers could be missed

Yeah, I yell them out.

Sorry, not sorry?

Oct 4, 2018
This is one of those things there's no reason to pay money for.

Just make a grid in Excel. You can even use cell shading to add some color to it, which I've found really helps.

If you're decent at Excel it's not hard to make these.

However, this guy did it already and sells it for next to nothing:

Oct 4, 2018
So I watched an 8U All-Star championship game yesterday. The other team's players wore wrist bands. One of their hitters called time with a foot in the box, looked down at her wristband to determine what she was instructed to do.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with an indicator from the third base coach and looking for the sign?

Nothing's wrong with that.

But wristbands cut down on missed signs and confusion. Wristbands cut down on coaches inadvertently wiping off a sign or accidentally calling something they didn't mean to.

And wristbands allow for dozens of play calls. Signs usually have about 5 max, right?

We're moving from traditional signs to wristbands. I'm old-school so it makes me a bit sad. But it's the right move for us.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying